jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How do you deal with physical and emotional pain outside of escaping or drowning

1. Agnes Penn profile image82
    Agnes Pennposted 6 years ago

How do you deal with physical and emotional pain outside of escaping or drowning it out?

2. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

Is    there any other other thoice, than drowing it out or  facing it?

3. VeronicaFarkas profile image83
    VeronicaFarkasposted 6 years ago

Writing and exercising. Writing is the best way to say what you need and want to say without being interrupted, judged, or given advice. Both writing and exercising help relieve stress, sort thoughts, and push the boundaries. By that, I mean that I can write a poem one minute, and an article, novel, question, short story, status update, quote, or whatever! the next. I can do yoga one minute, boxing the next, and run twenty minutes later. They're both versatile and comforting.

Another thing that I do (specifically for physical pain) is hop in my hot tub. I work in the healthcare industry. I lucked out in being able to get massages and chiropractic adjustments when needed, but having the hot tub is the ultimate. =]

4. BizGenGirl profile image89
    BizGenGirlposted 6 years ago
  5. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

When you intensely focus on pain, you become the pain and it exists no longer.  Accept it as your state of being, and it goes away.

6. profile image51
    michelegoldsteinposted 6 years ago

While I agree with Veronica Farkas and used to do what she suggests, I have developed a set of beliefs that frees me from emotional pain which also eliminates physical pain (as I believe it is all related energetically). I believe everything happens for a reason.  I look for lessons. I don't take anything personally. I believe that everyone is dong the best they can at any given moment with the tools, knowledge and presence of mind they have at that moment. I live a life of acceptance and gratitude. Change your thinking and your beliefs and you will change how you feel about things. Best wishes.

7. Agnes Penn profile image82
    Agnes Pennposted 6 years ago

Thank you all for your answers. 
    Writing, exercise, facing it, focusing on pain are all great ideas.
    I do know that ignoring it does not work.  I'm a problem-solver and a situation that involves pain to others or myself is a challenge to relieve it.

8. delaneyworld profile image79
    delaneyworldposted 6 years ago

I ask myself thiese questions daily:  How will this situation affect me 15 years from now?  If I look back on myself and my choices regarding how I behave, how I relate to others, what I am doing for myself in order to heal - will I be proud or will I be disappointed. 

I am going through a divorce and I feel very angry due to being abandoned.  I am disabled, cannot work, my daughter and I have no health insurance, etc.  My husband (we are still married) has moved on to a new, happier life and it hurts.  When I want to lash out I ask myself the questions above and remind myself to keep love in my heart.

Also - when I am intensely ill or worried about money, I distract myself with reading, movies, just being with my family.  You can entertain your thoughts, but then try to release the pain if you can.  Seek out others who understand online or in person.  Talk talk talk and cry if you need to.

working