jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does anyone have any ideas about occult blood in stool?

1. povmang profile image60
    povmangposted 6 years ago

Does anyone have any ideas about occult blood in stool?

Does anyone have any ideas about occult blood in stool? what does it do for? when can we take sample? how to instruct the patients?

2. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

Occult blood in stools simply means that there is blood present but it does not present as fresh-red blood. It's hidden because of the different colour it now is. When blood is present in the stool, the colour is very black and foul smelling and the name for this is 'Melena' stool. The reason for having occult blood/melena stools is that the person is usually bleeding from high up in the GI Tract - gastro-intestinal - this will inlcude areas such as the oesophagus, stomach, small intestine.

Either a nurse or doctor can test the stools with a special test pack that shows a colour change when blood is present. Some patients are also able to do this themselves and once completed the test, you return it to your doctor. The full instructions are usually on the test pack that you are given and they are usually very clear and easy to follow.

Other reasons why the stool may be black is due to some foods and medicines - for example someone who is on iron supplements.

3. Austinstar profile image86
    Austinstarposted 6 years ago

This link will answer your question - http://labtestsonline.org/understanding … tab/glance
    Occult blood in stool is a possible indicator of gastro-intestinal bleeding which can come from hemorrhoids or irritation or a few other things.
    You can do the test on any stool sample at any time.
    There is a card with instructions to use the test and how to spread the stool sample on the paper inside the card. A wooden stick should be provided. It looks like an ice cream stick.

4. povmang profile image60
    povmangposted 6 years ago

Dear seeker 7 and Austinstar,
    Thank you very much for your answer, but I'm still not clear about it. Does the doctor request this test only for old people or for young people or baby too? if the patient got diarrhea, does doctor still request this test? Does this test is request to find blood cause by bacteria(food poisoning) or amebia ( Entamoeba histolytica)? In the leaflet, I see that the test serves for the detection of haemorrhage caused by intestinal diseases such as diverticulitis, colitis, polyps and carcinoma. So if the patient got diarrhea, I think it doesn't make sense to request this test.

One more thing that I'm not clear is about cards that we give to the patient. Should the patient take sample three days in the row or three time of the day whenever he or she pass the stool?

Thank you very much for sharing information about this tests and I hope every can give me more.

Best regards,
    Pov Mang

working