jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you deal with "spring fever" or "cabin fever" or SAD in the winter months

1. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

How do you deal with "spring fever" or "cabin fever" or SAD in the winter months?

I notice about this time of year I start to get really antsy to be outdoors more (fortunately this is a mild winter) but in very cold months sometimes the cabin fever and longing for more sunlight/green etc gets very overwhelming.  I typically will do things like rearrange furniture or paint a room or something to ease some of the anxiousness - What tips do you have to deal with cabin fever / spring fever?

2. raymondphilippe profile image82
    raymondphilippeposted 6 years ago

Light therapy or phototherapy might work well.

3. EclecticFusion profile image77
    EclecticFusionposted 6 years ago

This is the first year I've ever experienced seasonal affective disorder (SAD). I talked to my doctor about it in December and she told me to get plenty of sunshine, take more Vitamin D, and make sure to get enough sleep. Well, I never get enough sleep. I sleep like 4 or 5 hours and that's not nearly enough! She said we would discuss it further in March when I go back. I just hope she doesn't want to put me on some kind of medication for it. I saw a light panel once and thought about trying to make one. Light is supposed to help with SAD.

Where I'm at, the sun is shining and it's supposed to be 60 degrees today! SAD? Who has SAD? Not today!

P.S. I have the light panel pinned at Pinterest.

4. Rev. Akins profile image76
    Rev. Akinsposted 6 years ago

I use a light box in the morning to help wake me up. I have also learned that if I exercise ( mostly aerobic) right before bed I sleep better at night. The better I sleep at night the less jittery I am during the day. One of the other helpful methods I use is to clean a room. The act of cleaning allows you to move around and when you can sit in a clean room, even if it is just one, I feel much more relaxed and at peace. I have suffered from SAD for more than 10 years and foolishly moved to IL (I used to live in AZ) and the winters have made me learn more techniques and be more patient with myself. Hope you feel better soon!

5. wearing well profile image77
    wearing wellposted 6 years ago

My huskamute dog takes me for a walk every day:)I think that the secret in dealing with Seasonal Affected Disorder is to try to get as much exposer to day light as possible as UV light enables the skin to produce vitamin D and that in turn helps to release the happy chemical secretions to the brain.It is difficult to motivate yourself when your feeling low but if you force yourself to exercise everyday,you will start to feel better and probable sleep better which is also extremely important.However if you don't get the chance to get out during the short day light hours in winter,then you can always take supplements of vit D and invest in a light box and try to keep busy doing something you enjoy doing too !

working