jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What are the pros and cons about using progressive eye-glasses?

1. Vibhavari profile image71
    Vibhavariposted 6 years ago

What are the pros and cons about using progressive eye-glasses?

2. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

Some people never can adjust to them.  They are also trickier to fit as the "pantoscopic tilt" strongly affects your vision with progressive lenses (google that phrase or even search for it on HubPages).

You will also find that there is always some "blurry" spot off to the side..

But they beat switching glasses all the time!

3. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I have tried to use progressive lenses with no luck.  They make me dizzy when I end up looking through the wrong area (like the reading part to see something at a distance.)  I ended up returning them to the eye doctor and just getting distance lenses, and then use another pair for reading.

4. Kulsum Mehmood profile image63
    Kulsum Mehmoodposted 6 years ago

Progressive glasses are very nice if you can adjust to wearing them. You get clear vision at all the distances. However it is rather difficult for some patients to adjust to progressive glasses. Initially one does not have the idea about distances. There is a misjudjement about how far or near a particular object is located in space. High cylindrical corrections in  progressive glasses are best avoided. Go in for bifocals rather than progressive in such cases.

5. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

Progressive lenses need to be fit by a licensed optician. The way the bifocal in a progressive lens is set is typically to align it with the lower lid. Keep in mind a progressive lens is not just a bifocal, but a trifocal. If you are doing quite a bit of intermediate work, they might just work for you. If you've started with a straight-line, or d-segment bifocal however, I would not recommend switching to a progressive.

Pantoscopic tilt is generally only an issue if you're extremely myopic (nearsighted), typically it only comes into play with prescriptions over -7.00 diopters or more.