jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How would you react if you find out a loved one has a severe mental ilness?

1. ananceleste profile image72
    anancelesteposted 6 years ago

How would you react if you find out a loved one has a severe mental ilness?

For example bipolar disorder or Paraniod Schizophrenia.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6118848_f260.jpg

2. rahul0324 profile image84
    rahul0324posted 6 years ago

the key lies in understanding the problem deeply. You need to connect to them at an intimate interpersonal level. In some cases it works miracles.

3. puter_dr profile image86
    puter_drposted 6 years ago

I am guessing this might not come as a total surprise, unless the have been medicated and in control. I would hope I would be supportive and understanding.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

If it is a loved one, I don't think it would be a huge surprise.  If I spent a lot of time with this loved one, I think it would be obvious that something is off - and it may be a relief to have the diagnosis so that it could be properly treated and medicated.

5. Seeker7 profile image94
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I would think there would be a bit of build up to this as these illnesses don't happen over night. But for me, they are still my family no matter what illness they suffer from and I would love them just the same. If the illness is stressful to me, then I would remember how much more harrowing it must be for the sufferer.

6. profile image0
    Emer420posted 6 years ago

I would make it known that I would be supportive every step of the way.  If they were a really good friend it would change nothing between us if I found out that they had a severe mental illness.  Being a good friend means being there when the times are rough and helping them get through it.

7. yui lockhart profile image60
    yui lockhartposted 6 years ago

I will set aside the panic inside me and will think of a way how I will face this problem. But one thing is for sure, I will help any love ones who has this problem, I am gonna be there till the end.

8. Ashantina profile image58
    Ashantinaposted 6 years ago

With love, patience, support... Would also want to know how and why and if there are any natural therapies that could heal.

working