jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best way to keep an arm cast completely dry when showering.

1. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to keep an arm cast completely dry when showering.

My 12 year old just fractured his forearm yesterday and we are wondering if there are any ways to ensure no leakage while he is showering.  I know placing a plastic bag over it, but how do you ensure no seepage or moisture getting in there?  This is my first broken bone to deal with - anything else I need to know about cast care? I don't want him getting infections or germs in there etc.  (I'm an overprotective mama lol)

2. roxanne459 profile image89
    roxanne459posted 6 years ago

My 11 year old son broke his forearm last year and it was in a cast for 4 months. I can totally relate to your concerns. The solution we came up with was.. baths. I realize that boys would rather take a shower but it was the only way I could think of to keep that cast dry for sure. Good luck smile

3. BoneMD1 profile image84
    BoneMD1posted 6 years ago

There are a number of cast coverings that are available commercially. Try your local drug store. They usually carry them. Of course the other  option is a waterproof cast.

If the cast gets damp, you can use a blow dryer on cold to help dry it out. If it really gets wet, it has to be changed.

4. soconfident profile image81
    soconfidentposted 6 years ago

It would not be wise to take a shower with a cast on, take a sponge bath

5. shesacraftymom profile image75
    shesacraftymomposted 6 years ago

We bought a cast cover from the drug store for my daughter's leg when she broke it. It kept it totally dry. Showers worked best for her leg, but baths might be better for an arm. She had no issues, infections, etc. once removed other than extreme hair growth. LOL

working