Is depression real or is it just imagination?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. MojoDawg profile image60
    MojoDawgposted 6 years ago

Is depression real or is it just imagination?

2. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 6 years ago

It is very real. There are different types of depression. One type, major depression, or clinical depression is the most serious type. It involves neurochemical changes in the brain. There is also a type of depression that occurs in response to life changes, such as the loss of a loved one or other stressful life circumstances. This type of depression may be amenable to time and talk therapy, but it can deteriorate into a major depression requiring more intensive intervention. Clinical depression causes changes in thought processes that a person with the illness cannot control. The thought processes are beyond reason. The person truly thinks there is no hope and they are worthless. Their thinking is slowed down and they cannot make good decisions. Yes, depression is very real and it is a serious illness that can result in a person taking their own life. If anyone you know expresses feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness, pay attention. If they express suicidal thoughts, take it seriously because they could act on it.

3. catalystsnstars profile image71
    catalystsnstarsposted 6 years ago

Depression is not the absence of happiness, I'm not sure where I read that. But I think that needs to be clarified since a lot of people seem to believe that a person who says they are depressed just needs to do more "fun" things or that they are the cause of this "lack" in motivational pursuits.

If it was the imagination, would it make a difference? The heart feels what it feels in great magnitude, there is no measure of emotions when it comes to how a person "feels". Yes, we can attribute this dip in moods to chemicals and/or external forces but if you were happy and I told you it was all in your imagination would it make a difference?

As for the realness of depression, there are no words to describe the despair that befalls a person when nothing will do. At that point you start to wish it was all a fiction of your imagination, but at that point when you're most susceptible to hopelessness, well, it becomes as real as any light in a dark room.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Depression, unless situationally caused as in divorce or death of a loved one, is a chemicall imbalance in the brain.  It is very real and anyone who say otherwise is uneducated and naive.

5. profile image0
    jasper420posted 6 years ago

depreshion is a real medical condition its a chemical emblance and can be corrected with medications and therapy the stigma on depershion makes me sick alot of people are ignorant to the disoder.

6. nybride710 profile image61
    nybride710posted 6 years ago

Big time real.  I suffered from major depressive disorder for years before finding the right combination of medication and therapy.  My 15 year old daughter also struggles, and it doesn't appear to be related to anything going on in her life.

7. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 6 years ago

Is depression real? Can Cymbalta Help? This poem about depression takes an almost funny yet serious look at the thoughts, feelings, and often dark reality of the person suffering from depression. read more

8. WretchedRapture profile image72
    WretchedRaptureposted 6 years ago

Great question! It'll surely start some nice discussion. I agree with most of the other answers that depression is most definitely real, as it is caused by chemical imbalances in the brain. What I've always wondered is whether or not medication is really necessary for treatment. Sure, if it's going to save lives then I'm all for it, but it seems to me that anti-depressive medications are too easily accessible, and I'm not so sure if medication is the best way to treat this issue. Perhaps medication is great for initial treatment, but I'm curious if once an individual escapes from their depressive bouts they could maintain their new found state of ease through simple will power. The mind is a very powerful instrument, so even if it is a chemical imbalance, I would think that an individual could maintain a healthy balance of chemicals on their own once they achieve a certain level of confidence and stability. I don't mean to undermine anyone who has had personal experience with these issues, as a matter of fact, I commend you greatly.

9. Sage in a Cage profile image79
    Sage in a Cageposted 6 years ago

Depression is very real but individuals experience it in varying intensities and interpret it in different ways depending on their own situations.

Depression is an emotion that has, in small quantities, helped humans survive and adapt. Some evolutionary psychologists suggest that depression in smaller quantities is actually a productive emotion which signals to us that we need to make significant changes in our current lives. For example, you may be in a very unsatisfying job where you feel you are not appreciated. Feeling depressed in that situation will usually be the trigger for looking for another job or career.

It's when that everyday emotion of depression becomes so overwhelming that it affects an individual's everyday functioning that we verge into clinical depression. Depression is not imagined anymore than any other emotion that comes about in our brains. Quite often clinical depression can get to the stage where physical symptoms such as headache and fatigue are experienced. In that sense, depression becomes much more than an emotion and more of a disorder which needs to be managed.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)