jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Would you elect to have breasts removed to prevent getting breast cancer if your

1. Bea Wiser profile image67
    Bea Wiserposted 5 years ago

Would you elect to have breasts removed to prevent getting breast cancer if your risk was 20%?

Average risk of getting breast cancer is 12%. What would you do if your risk was 40%?

2. onegoodwoman profile image75
    onegoodwomanposted 5 years ago

Having my breasts surgically " removed ", would be pretty drastic.

I might opt for taking my chances, donating my body to research, and
    finding the cure for my daughters.

But then.............I have so far, beaten the odds........

If the question was...........remove and live, or keep and die young~~

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, I would not do that because there is no accurate way to gauge percentage.  They can give you figures if you have the gene, but it is still a guess.  There are so many types of cancer we are susceptible to and we can't have it all removed to prevent it.

4. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

please tell me that you or no one you know is doing this. wow. if they do, they should also have their brain removed because there is a 100% chance they are mentally ill.

5. Bea Wiser profile image67
    Bea Wiserposted 5 years ago

Nightwork4 comments that he believes that anyone considering prophylactic  bilateral mastectomy is mentally ill. It does seem extreme but if one has not experienced the fear of breast cancer, I do not think one can judge. To someone who has experienced this terror, it may seem to be a perfectly logical way to preserve life and eliminate the fear of disease.  And certainly we have all heard of the celebrities who have undergone multiple surgeries for less compelling reasons.

6. visionandfocus profile image71
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

Just because you're at risk of getting a disease does not mean you're going to get it...unless you're convinced you will. Our minds are way more powerful than we realize. Fear of a condition can create or manifest that condition in our lives, so the first thing is to take a deep breath and calm yourself. Know that there is hope and that help is available.
    Most diseases are multi-factorial. Breast cancer is one of them. You can empower yourself by doing some research. Holistically speaking, you can approach your diagnosis on several fronts. Physically, you can improve your diet and undergo de-tox with the help of a trusted and experienced naturopath. Mentally and emotionally, you can learn to manage your stress and resolve your emotional issues, including past trauma.  Spiritually, you can engage in activities like yoga and guided meditation that can help you deal better with your situation.
    Help is out there. You just need to become knowledgeable about what can help, and what support is available in your area.  Please understand that a diagnosis is merely an educated guess and not writ in stone. There are many ways you can help yourself. I wish you well on your healing journey.

working