Why do you think that autism rates are increasing so much?

1. Chuck Bluestein profile image60
    Chuck Bluesteinposted 6 years ago

Why do you think that autism rates are increasing so much?

Children with autsim used to be 4 in 10,000. Now they are 30-60 per 10,000. The preservative in vaccines with mercury in it (thimersol) has not been used since 1999 except in multi-doses of the flu vaccine.

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 6 years ago

I don't believe they are really up. I believe it is just being more diagnosed now. They also include the multiple different types of autism in stats. My son has Aspergers. Years ago it was usually misdiagnosed as adhd (still is a lot of the time). Since Aspergers is a form of autism it is included with the statistics. So an increase in proper diagnosis incrases the numbers. It would be even higher if teachers, parents, and therapist didn't jump on the adhd trip when their child seems to have issues. Nearly 1,000,000 children are misdiagnosed with adhd yearly. I'm sure at least some have a form of autism.

3. larcaustin46 profile image85
    larcaustin46posted 6 years ago

I agree with peeples--more diagnoses do not necessarily mean there are more cases.  I'm glad to see that there is greater recognition of the early signs and symptoms of autism and less stigma attached to the disorder--early intervention can make a huge difference in how independently a child with autism can live and function as he/she grows up.

working