jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does smiling when you're sad help?

1. KeithJK profile image62
    KeithJKposted 5 years ago

Does smiling when you're sad help?

2. Melissa A Smith profile image98
    Melissa A Smithposted 5 years ago

Anyone who believes that needs to be checked by professionals.

3. Civil War Bob profile image60
    Civil War Bobposted 5 years ago

I agree with Melissa...it does, however, take fewer muscles to smile, so if you make faces at yourself in the mirror that way, you might turn your frown upside down... excuse me while I go call my professionals...

4. Josak profile image62
    Josakposted 5 years ago

Actually as a oncepsychology student I can tell you that smiling and particularly laughing actually causes your brain to release dopamine thus making you feel better, it's not a massive effect but yes scientifically speaking smiling when you are sad will make you feel a bit better.

5. Dr Billy Kidd profile image92
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 5 years ago

Yes. When you smile on a blue day it can help you change your attitude. That's the easiest thing to change about yourself. Change of attitude can lead to change of emotions. Also, talking can ease your fears. But running--great cure for the blues.

6. Dim Flaxenwick profile image79
    Dim Flaxenwickposted 5 years ago

Yes,  yes, and yes again.    When you smile, you encourage the use of serotonin which makes us feel good.
    You won´t automatically feel happy if you´re sad, but tests have proved that depressed people improve if they smile as often as possible..  Even a forced smile helps.
    Give it a try. It certainly won´t make you feel worse.  If you can find something to laugh at ..... even better.
    Laughter is the best medicine is not a myth.

7. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

Next time you're sad, do this: 

Look up at the ceiling and smile.

Try it.