jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

When is it best to eat, before or after a workout?

1. CWanamaker profile image95
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

When is it best to eat, before or after a workout?

2. Nomascus concolor profile image62
    Nomascus concolorposted 5 years ago

Eat a banana before and drink a pint of water after.

3. TheLifeExperiment profile image59
    TheLifeExperimentposted 5 years ago

Its best to eat complex carbohydrates right before, drink lots of water during, and refuel with protein and veggies after. My daily sort of routine is wake up at 4:45 am, eat 1 or 2 pieces of whole grain toast with honey or preserves (you could eat it with peanut butter, but I'm allergic), a greek yogurt + some soymik for protein. I drink a LOT of water during my workout. Afterwards, I'll have a protein shake, some sort of soy protein, or make a juice with my juicer and some fruits. Keep drinking water afterward too, because your body is still heated up.

4. Billy Donahue profile image78
    Billy Donahueposted 5 years ago

I usually eat a couple of hours before I workout. Definitely want to have plenty of water before and after working out.

5. Mickmc profile image85
    Mickmcposted 5 years ago

There are a variety of hypothesized physiological benefits from eating certain types of foods before or after a workout. However, there is not  a lot of scientific evidence that demonstrates any major difference in observed benefit from exercise being dependent on the timing of food consumption.

The main thing is not to eat anything before that may make you feel sick during an intense workout.

Of course hydration is very important... but this generally involves drinking rather than eating.

6. Joesy Shmoesy profile image61
    Joesy Shmoesyposted 5 years ago

I have always heard that it is best to eat after because you are still burning calories.  Though I would not workout on an empty stomach.