jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

How do remember someone that you cherished that has passed?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

How do remember someone that you cherished that has passed?

It's been 4 years since the death of my Grandmother, I was her caretaker. It still feels like yesterday.

2. bankscottage profile image96
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.  My wife and I lost an adult son over two years ago.  He would have been 30 on 4/20/2012.  We think about him every day.  We talk about him.  We wonder what he would say or what he would do in different situations.  Death is a part of life and we cherish his memory.  We want to remember him until we can't remember anything anymore.  Until we are with him again.  I wrote a Hub in his memory on his birthday.  It helps me remember and it helps our friends and family understand.  Brian really was a remarkable young man who overcame many challenges and struggles.
    Peace be with you.

3. missolive profile image97
    missoliveposted 5 years ago

My Grandmother's passing was almost 19 years ago. Yes, it does feel like yesterday.

As her only granddaughter I inherited her formal dining room set. This includes her china and the china cabinet. There have been several times over the years that I simply open the cabinet doors just to admire one of her beautiful coffee cups. I know she is close. Her voice is embedded in heart - forever.

4. tirelesstraveler profile image83
    tirelesstravelerposted 5 years ago

Tell stories.  Mom and I told stories about my Dad to my kids. Thought they never met him they have an idea of what he was like.  When Mom passed the kids started telling stories about their grandma to their friends.

We also bring flowers to their grave sites.

5. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

By thinking of them. It isn't difficult. My own grandmother passed away a few years ago as well. In her memory, I moved into her home to feel closer to her. I visited her old home in Ruston, Louisiana. Each Christmas I think of the giant tree with gifts from her and I remember how wonderful she was. Plus it helps if you believe in heaven.

6. Seeker7 profile image97
    Seeker7posted 5 years ago

With my Mum it's mostly the memories of her that I cherish the most. But I also have some small favourite pieces of jewelry that she had. But the thing that I love the most and that brings back so many lovely memories is the head scarf that she wore. Even after 14 years, it still has her scent on it! It makes me feel very close to her again.

7. anglnwu profile image90
    anglnwuposted 5 years ago

Keeping memories of that cherished one. For me, whenever  I get together with my brothers, we talk about our mother who passed on--the things she used to do or tell us, jokes we remembered or lessons we learned from her. I feel that by talking about her, we keep her alive in our hearts. Also, I write about her--particularly in poems--a very good way to immortalize her, so to speak.

8. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

Think about the values your grandmother had and let them live on through you. Perhaps creating a nice photo collage would be something pleasant for you to look at now and then or hand down to other family members. There are many ways you can keep her memory alive.

I understand how you feel, it's been 6 years since my father passed away and it really does feel like it happened just yesterday. Not a day goes by without me thinking of him in some way, some days I have many more thoughts than others. I think of him as a good dad who did all within his power to make sure me and my siblings were safe and had the things we needed.

I also try to think about how he would do certain things and in the process I have been able to help a few people out. Talking about the good times is always my favorite because it makes me and others laugh, even if they don't know my dad.

9. creativebutterfly profile image61
    creativebutterflyposted 5 years ago

sometimes it is a smell, or a song or a movie.  Sometimes it is when I am just sitting quietly and thinking.

1. bankscottage profile image96
      bankscottageposted 5 years agoin reply to this

creativebutterfly, interesting name and comment.  When we see a butterfly show up, we always think our son has joined us.

10. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 5 years ago

Yes. My parents is still living in my memory as though they are still with me.

I think they will remain in memory as well as my dreams.

working