How would you treat a person who has threatened to commit suicide?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Anjili profile image80
    Anjiliposted 6 years ago

How would you treat a person who has threatened to commit suicide?

2. TheLifeExperiment profile image58
    TheLifeExperimentposted 6 years ago

They don't need treatment yet, they need help. Call a suicide hotline, make sure they aren't alone, and just talk to them. Most likely they feel alone and sad, and just having someone to talk to will help. If they do have a more deep mental disorder like severe depression, they will need to either get therapy, a prescription, or both. What matters now is that you make sure they aren't serious, even if that means staying with them for a long time.

3. teamrn profile image67
    teamrnposted 6 years ago

How I would handle the situation would differ if i were with the person (actually on the premises); or if this was a telephone call. I would do my best to 'talk them down,' kind of difficult to do if you're not on the premises.

The safety of the person is tantamount. If you have them on the phone, somehow contact a neighbor (flag them down, if you live in an apartment building, grab someone in the hall) and write down your concerns, NEVER letting the other individual off the line.

Ask the neighbor to contact 911 (better yet, write it down on a piece of paper or a napkin); the people at 911 are trained to deal with this.

Therapists, physicians, social workers, psychiatrists nurses and other health care professionals.are bound by standards of practice to report these incidents of suicide threats, even if the person says he's 'just joking.'

Citizens should be no different. They are bound by a code of morality. Think always about the safety of the person making the threats and err on the side of caution. This is someone's life at stake.

1. Amber Morris profile image58
      Amber Morrisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Very well said.

2. Anjili profile image80
      Anjiliposted 6 years agoin reply to this

A good response. Thanks.

4. Amber Morris profile image58
    Amber Morrisposted 6 years ago

I have suffered from chronic mental illness for most of my life, and my parents learned very quickly after my first suicide attempt to take whatever threat I voiced seriously. My parents ALWAYS called 911. At least that person is most definitely in a safe place where they can see the ER doctor, and a mental health professional who talks with them and determines how "at risk" they are. Calling 911 may be extreme, but it is the "always better to be safe than sorry" approach.

5. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 6 years ago

Know that it is a very serious situation and do not dismiss it no matter what.  Never leave the person alone.  Listen to what the person has to say, if anything.  Just talk to the person honestly.  Make sure the person gets the help he or she needs right away.  Do not delay in getting this person help.  Ask the person would he or she like for you to pray with them.  If not, just pray to yourself, during the time the person is not wanting to talk.

6. padmendra profile image44
    padmendraposted 6 years ago

A proper counselling is advisable . Besides digging out the cause of this  tendency  in such person(s)  is  essential. In most of the cases we have seen that introverted people  were  found to be taking step of committing suicide when they failed to get their wishes fulfilled or when they had  a broken heart syndrome. The best way to  deal  them is that they should be given proper  family support,,  good atmoshphere and should not be left alone.

7. jeanniedoe profile image56
    jeanniedoeposted 6 years ago

Dealing with the person who attempted to commit suicide is a serious matter especially if you don't have enough skills in a given situation. The best thing to do is to call 911 and ask assistance from them.

8. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

it depends on why to me. if it is just because they are feeling sorry for themselves, i'd tell them to have fun and i have done this. if it is because of reason's i think are justified, i would do everything i can to help them get their lives back together.

1. teamrn profile image67
      teamrnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

"it depends on why to me" I don't know about you, Night, but I don't feel qualified to determine the WHY. I think we have to consider EVERY threat of suicide as real-until proven otherwise. What if we make the wrong call, if help is being asked for?

9. swordsbane profile image59
    swordsbaneposted 6 years ago

Someone who is determined to commit suicide will do so, and will do so in such a way that no one finds out about it until it's too late.  You can't help them.  They've made their choice.  Everyone else... EVERYONE else is looking for attention, and is waiting to see what the people in their lives do when they tell them what they are contemplating.  What you do and say will determine whether they decide to go through with it or not.

Take them seriously and listen to them.  Listen to them until they want to stop talking, even if it takes minutes, hours or days.  Listen to them and try to get them to say more.  Talking helps, and if they think someone truly cares about how they feel, what they think and what happens to them then maybe... just maybe.. they won't go through with it.

The seriousness of this cannot be overblown.  If they're down to threatening suicide, even if they aren't really serious, then you are playing catch up and whatever their problems are, you won't solve them right away, even if you are a trained psychologist.  If you understand this, then you have three tasks: Make them understand it, make them believe that their problems CAN be solved, and give them a reason to try.

Basically, if someone tells you they are going to commit suicide, then you just became their life-line.  They came to you for a reason, and that reason could be the way you turn them around.  Either you are the source of their problems (in their mind at least), or you are the only thing keeping them alive.  Either way.... sucks to be you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)