When you feel depressed, what are the tricks you use to kick yourself out of the

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (20 posts)
  1. backporchstories profile image72
    backporchstoriesposted 12 years ago

When you feel depressed, what are the tricks you use to kick yourself out of the dumps?

2. profile image0
    donnaMhicksposted 12 years ago

Music - and not the sad song, somebody done me wrong kind. I also get out of the house. When youi are down in the dumps, 4 walls can make you feel even worse.

3. LaThing profile image60
    LaThingposted 12 years ago

I think about the people around the world who are less fortunate then me, and what they are going through, and I try to count my blessings!

4. multifunctions profile image60
    multifunctionsposted 12 years ago

change the environment. feeling depressed is a state of mind. so its the best way that you change the topic at your mind. talk to your friends listen to your favorite music in short start something that you know  lifts your mood.
    you can try this yog exercise as well and let me know how does it work for you . its quite effective .
    1. be attentive to your breath.
    2. observe how deep you are inhaling. upto throat/ heart/ navel or deeper.
    3. in most cases after this observation there will be a deep inhalation. automatic response of the body that want to change .
    4. now try deeper and slower breathing .

backporchstoriesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used to practice yoga...need to get back into that!

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just tried this. It works! Thank you.

5. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 12 years ago

Music! I enjoy instrumental music, particularly baroque music. I have a baroque CD in my disc holder all day long and when I start to feel depressed I press the play button. That’s what works for me. That and prayer.

6. Express10 profile image74
    Express10posted 12 years ago

Getting outside in the sun for 15 or 20 minutes helps, exercise, and talking with friends or family all work for me.

7. christin53 profile image83
    christin53posted 12 years ago

I put my favourite music on and look at all the photo's of my kids when they were little.It never fails to cheer me up.

8. sassydee profile image70
    sassydeeposted 12 years ago

Being around people who care about me and love me, like family and friends usually helps.

9. angied83 profile image69
    angied83posted 12 years ago

I go out and take a long drive to clear my head. This usually works. But if not, then I call a friend whom I know would be sympathetic and understanding of my problems.

10. Spitfire07 profile image70
    Spitfire07posted 12 years ago

All good points.

Getting your mind off whatever has you has you down and picking yourself back up so that you can tackle the issue is key.

Go do an activity that gets you out of your head. Play sports, guitar, read, blog or something that requires concentration. I find running or walking doesn't require enough attention allows you to keep dwelling on whatever is bothering you.

Spending time with other people generally helps to cheer a person up.

Don't forget to eat some chocolate to get those endorphins going. ...I'll take any excuse to get some chocolate.

yeah....chocolate....

11. SidKemp profile image85
    SidKempposted 12 years ago

It happened tonight. First, I spent time in nature (at the beach, in my case, I'm lucky to live near the ocean). That wasn't enough. So I meditated, breathing, relaxing, balancing my energy. That wasn't enough. So I hopped some hubs, and - by random chance or a gift of the Divine - came across some music that resonated with my sadness. I kept hopping hubs, expressing lots of gratitude. Now, I'm doing just great.

So, bring in good energy all these ways - and then share it with others!

My passion and  escapes are writing and gardening...leaving the world behind long enough to do inner healing.  Thanks to all you hub readers and expressionist, I love your work!

12. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I like to watch comedies or funny videos on youtube. But I'm hardly ever sad, and when I am it doesn't last too long.

13. lawrence2012 profile image57
    lawrence2012posted 12 years ago

Go exercise for 20-30 minutes.  It's the best way to get rid of stress and depression.  The better question should be, when you feel depressed, how do you motivate yourself to go exercise?  I don't have an answer to that one.

usually takes a kick in the pants!  lol

14. LacretiaHardy profile image61
    LacretiaHardyposted 12 years ago

Prayer and laughter.  I let all my tears and anguish out and then plop down in front of something really funny to get me smiling again.

15. debfrench profile image57
    debfrenchposted 11 years ago

Hi
    It helps to have a hot bath have some tea all  so breathing, relaxing that is if you can. I have a hard time relaxing

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)