Question on Mental health

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (29 posts)
  1. edguider profile image66
    edguiderposted 14 years ago

I watched a news report yesterday about exercises for the mind by doing various tasks. Puzzles, Chess, Checkers, moderate mathematical stuff......

Can anyone recommend a good strategy for keeping the mind free of cobwebs? I even heard there are some iphone apps for this?

Thanks

1. kimfranklin profile image58
      kimfranklinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spend more time with positive minded people, and less time alone. Spend less time watching t.v. (which is a brain sucker) and more time reading personal development books. Spend more time out of your comfort zone and less time in the every day stuff!

2. ddsurfsca profile image70
      ddsurfscaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any activity that holds your interest, and allows you to figure out solutions works, it doesn't need to be puzzles or games.  Hobbies are also very good, for if the activity is also something you like to do, chances are good you will spend more time on those cobwebs.  Reading is wonderful, and I, (and I dont know why) enjoy reading the dictionary....

3. reikial profile image60
      reikialposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Further to any previous answers. I don't know about you, I can only speak for myself but I avoid eating spiders whenever possible. This seems to keep my mind reasonably clear from cobwebs. At night its more difficult cause when you are asleep they say that we swallow countless spiders. You could erect a little spider catching net but I'm not sure where you would get the plans for such a contraption. Oh I heard somewhere that thinking about stuff can be helpful;like issues about life and so on. It seems to exercise the brain muscle which in turn fills up the brain cavity space which leaves less room for spiders to live in and ultimately less cobwebs - makes sense. Anyway, good luck with the spiders and the cobwebs, I wish you well
      :-)

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i play a game on my Nintendo DS (Brain Age) that has puzzles to stimulate different parts of your brain, then scores you and tells you your "brain age" so you can track your progress. i really believe in it! ok you just gave me an idea for my next hub smile

5. Pearldiver profile image69
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Very Best Strategy for keeping your mind free of cobwebs must be applied in the following sequence of actions!

However, this May Be Too Hard for many who are lacking in the ability to do more than one thing at once, or have a short span of attention! hmm

The First Exercise: Before you go to sleep each night; Block your Ears, Nostrils and Mouth with Cotton Balls. smile

The Second Exercise: Relax - Don't Panic or Breathe! Allow your Subconscious Mind to Tell Your Conscious Mind that No Spiders will ever cross your mind again! smile

This Strategy is So Successful that you will Never again be inflicted with mental laziness. lol

6. Blogging Erika profile image67
      Blogging Erikaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

COFFEE.

7. profile image51
      Badrinath Raoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think deep breathing and meditation is a good way of keeping your mind fresh and free from cobwebs.

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image67
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

lumosity.com has a good collection of mental exercises and games.

1. edguider profile image66
      edguiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that site looks great.

Also, thanks to everyone for the great ideas. Going to be clearing the cobwebs this month smile

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

writing writing and more writing always helps my mind plus doing the word searches.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen

4. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

reading in a foreign language.
    It makes your system move.

5. Sexy jonty profile image58
    Sexy jontyposted 14 years ago

Do yoga and prayanam ..... Do search in youtube videos for videos of how to do yoga ......

6. akirchner profile image93
    akirchnerposted 14 years ago

Reading, working on computers, trying to always play new games, figure out programs - all great ways to keep your mind nimble! (and keep you frustrated!)

7. hoodieweather profile image60
    hoodieweatherposted 14 years ago

There are a lot of iphone applications  that can keep you busy. I don't want to promote anything directly but-

1) There is a free app that lets you play a game 99% similar to Scrabble with anybody with an iphone/ipod touch.

2) The same makers of the game mentioned above has a free Chess application as well.

3) Also there's tons of Connect 4 type games as well.

8. rebekahELLE profile image83
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

singing everyday is excellent for the brain.

here's a great article about foods to help our brain, a good site.

http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/hap … entry.html

9. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

dont underestimate the power of physical exercise, getting outside and connecting with nature, and eating right. We all know what we need to do to be healty, it is easier said then done.
    But I find taking a long walk and just "letting go" of the day helps to clear out cobwebs.

10. Rayalternately profile image60
    Rayalternatelyposted 14 years ago

there's surely nothing else left to monetise when we've turned thinking into a commodity! big_smile

11. beth811 profile image76
    beth811posted 14 years ago

For mental exercises, try easy puzzles at first like sudoku and crosswords. They really perk up your brain and you will enjoy too especially sudoku. Or any boardgames will do.smile

12. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

color - yep, grab your crayons or your colored pencils and color. Its relaxing.

13. ratnaveera profile image58
    ratnaveeraposted 14 years ago

Playing racing computer games will make favorable changes in our mental health. Because such games increases alertness and they can be also good mean of quick refreshing our mind.

14. rmcrayne profile image89
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Alzheimer's Chapter in my area has regular community education classes for free.  Materials include dietary recommendations and recommendations for mental stimulation.

15. profile image0
    Jenny-Anneposted 14 years ago

solvitas perambulum - solve it while walking. Walking is good especially if you have access to cross country or to the beach.

Also, I don't know if you've ever heard of mind maps - but they're good for getting your ideas down on paper. You put the main idea in the middle of a blank page and have 4 or 5 branches stemming out in different directions with words that come to your mind.

By adding doodles and using colour (like colouring pencils), you're using both sides of your brain - left and right - and it helps to clear your mind about whatever the topic might be.

It's relaxing if you take your time with it and the visual side is good for your memory as well because you have images in your head to go with the ideas.

16. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

so another words because only females can multi task it is only females that can follow this advice Pearl diver

17. Pearldiver profile image69
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

That's a very interesting point Poet lorraine! hmm
    I have actually reccommended it to both males and females. smile

But to be honest... I usually don't get alot of feedback from the participants for some obscure reason lol

18. Deen Mohd Dar profile image60
    Deen Mohd Darposted 11 years ago

Good thing would be asking the psychiatrist for help

Ask psychiatrist

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're 3 years late man.
      Maybe you should do some exercice.
      3 YEARS LATE ! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ?

19. profile image0
    SaritaJBonitaposted 11 years ago

The new age word for keeping one's mind young is neurobic exercise.  I read a book that theorizes the brain can develop new neural pathways by practicing using your 5 senses.  One of the exercises was to close your eyes for a certain amount of time, and try to do normal daily tasks.  Even something as simple as filling a cup with water is a whole lot more challenging when you take away eyesight.

Another example that I like to do is use mindfulness.  While I'm sitting waiting for the bus, or stuck in traffic, etc., I breathe deeply and focus on the sights and sounds around me.  For example, right now I'm sitting on the couch typing this on my laptop:
    My cat is giving herself a bath.  I can hear the roughness of her tongue.  She pauses at the sound of the house settling, listens for a moment, then goes back her post-dinner grooming ritual.  It's just starting to get dark out but the sky is still a pastel blue.  I need to turn a light on so I can see.  My toes are cold....

It sounds dumb, but it's very calming and I tend to feel refreshed after doing this for 5-10 minutes.  I dunno whether or not it keeps my mind young, but it helps so why not try it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)