jump to last post 1-18 of 18 discussions (28 posts)

What is your personal favorite method of fighting cold/flu/upper respiratory in

1. breathe2travel profile image81
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

What is your personal favorite method of fighting  cold/flu/upper respiratory infection symptoms?

2. jhunpaler profile image75
    jhunpalerposted 5 years ago

drinking a lot of water will help you with upper respiratory tract infections and a lot of rest

3. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Neti Pot and zinc lozenges - just recently discovered the Neti pot and it's a great invention!

1. TDAPharm profile image83
      TDAPharmposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just rememember to use clean/distiller water. Some people who use either well water or stagnant have ended up with infections. Otherwise a good device to help clear out passages.

4. ar.colton profile image83
    ar.coltonposted 5 years ago

Boil water and add a little lemon juice and honey. It's incredibly soothing for a sore throat and packed with vitamin C!

1. madmachio profile image60
      madmachioposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's what my mom does too!!

5. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 5 years ago

a table spoon of honey or maple syrup with about a quarter tea spoon of tumeric powder on top... not very tasty but gets the job done.

1. profile image0
      oceansiderposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!  I forgot all about tumeric...I had read about the fact that it helps to clear your congestion.

2. arksys profile image91
      arksysposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your're welcome ... I had swollen glands under the jaw last year, it hurt even with a soft touch. I had this mixture before going to bed and i could feel my chest really warming up. The next morning both the swelling and pain had dissapeared.

6. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

By exposing myself to them at a really young age so I don't get them badly later in life. Or just by staying away from other people.

7. madmachio profile image60
    madmachioposted 5 years ago

vitiman C. lots of sleep if possible. And some of grandpa's ol cough medicine...whisky! smile

8. AmyEliza profile image61
    AmyElizaposted 5 years ago

Tea! Lots of tea and hot baths always make me feel better. I don't believe it makes it go away faster but I certainly feel better for a while after.

9. Daughter Of Maat profile image96
    Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years ago

I increase my dosage of vitamin C and Zinc. I drink more fruit juices as well. Although I haven't been sick in about a year since I've been working out almost everyday. Get's the immune cells flowing faster!! The endorphins are nice as well. big_smile

10. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 5 years ago

I eat oranges, drink water.....lots of it, also peppermint tea really helps.
    And, I load up on the garlic capsules.... odor free of course!  I get more sleep than I would normally get.  When I was sick about a month ago, I had a couple of nights where I slept about 12 hours.  Here in San Diego County, in the last month or so, we had a terrible flu going around with the most awful chest congestion I have ever had.

11. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

In addition to the water and tea w/ lemon and honey already mentioned, I drink slippery elm tea. I also eat a lot of chicken broth spiced w/ garlic. At night to prevent cough, I  apply either a vapor patch or do a vapor rub on my chest and use sugarless lozenges in lieu of cough syrups. Zinc lozenges work well, but they mess up my taste buds for months!! As a preventative, I take Airborne at the first sign of a scratchy throat or stuffy nose, get annual flu shots, wash my hands like a fiend, and avoid touching my hands to my face during flu season.

12. girlgonestrong profile image60
    girlgonestrongposted 5 years ago

I started typing out a response to this, but it got so long so if you want to find out the ultimate method to annihilate the cold or flu, check out my new Hub here: http://girlgonestrong.hubpages.com/hub/ … old-or-Flu

breathe2travelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Love your name "girlgonestrong" -- I think I'll enjoy your hubs! smile

13. profile image0
    Marntzuposted 5 years ago

Vitamin C 1000mg daily, 1 gallon of water, 1000mg of garlic oil 3x daily, 2x daily perfect foods super green food mix (tastes horrible but if you blend it with a citrus based drink besides orange juice you cant taste the mix and it has 5 to 10 servings of vegetables and fruit per serving) knocks it right out.

14. Viviannie profile image74
    Viviannieposted 5 years ago

Onion decoct:
    boil two pealed onions cut in four in a litter of water. Put the onions when water reaches boiling point and let in boil for 5 minutes. After that leave it covered to rest for 15 minutes. Drink the liquid when it's warm. You can add honey as a sweetener, but only after decoct cooled bellow 50 degrees Celsius!

breathe2travelposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I recently heard of using cut onions for "drawing out" toxins... I was a bit skeptical, but curious.  Your answer intrigues me - especially since it is your personal favorite - which means it works for you.  Thanks for sharing. smile

2. Viviannie profile image74
      Viviannieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, cut onions "absorbs" toxins and bacteria from the environment. Some studies made on cut onions kept in refrigerator show that onions somehow attracts bacteria inside of it's cells. This is why you should not store cut onions.

3. profile image0
      oceansiderposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much, I have never heard of this before, but it's sure worth a try the next time I catch a bad cold.

15. ladyhowto4u profile image72
    ladyhowto4uposted 5 years ago

My first defense is to try not to catch these infections.  However, if I somehow  contract these infections, I drink a lot of orange juice, which is a source of vitamin C at the first sign of the cold.  For me, I usually get a scratchy throat initially.  There has been some debate about the benefits of vitamin C for colds; however, recent studies have shown that vitamin C fights colds. Of course there is no cure, but drinking lots of orange juice will diminish the symptoms. 

Even if I do not have a cough, I snack on Halls cough drops, the metholyphtic flavor only.  To ease my sniffling and to clear up my breathing pathways, I breathe in Vick's vapor rub.  I do not rub the Vick's vapor rub on my chest, since I do not seem to get any relief from that.  I rub just a small amount beneath my nose, so I can smell the healing scent of the Vick's vapor rub each time I breathe. Sometimes, I simply hold the jar of Vick's vapor rub beneath my nose and breathe in deeply.

I count the days until the cold is over-- which  for me is from seven to ten days.  I mentally project how healthy I will feel then, keeping a positive attitude until the infection has past.

After the cold has past, I then regroup and determine how I caught it in the first place, with a resolve not to repeat these actions.  Many times, I can pinpoint the cause, for example, being near someone who already has a cold, etc. 

Prevention is the best remedy. Having a cold/flu/ or upper respiratory symptoms, even for just a few days,  is no fun.

1. arksys profile image91
      arksysposted 5 years agoin reply to this

definitely no fun.
      have you ever tried cough syrup at the first sign of a cold (the scratchy throat). whenever i notice that first sign i have some cough syrup before going to bed... next morning i'm fine. i've beaten the flu many times this way.

2. profile image0
      Debbie Dallasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Usually a dusty area, dirty phones, germs in restrooms etc!! WELL GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!  NOW

16. wisdom25 profile image80
    wisdom25posted 5 years ago

The best think to do is eat a lot of veggies with a lot of garlic. Many may disagree but a hot toddie is perfect because the next day you won't have a cold.

17. superlowrise profile image73
    superlowriseposted 5 years ago

Go to the doctor! 

No but really: lots of water, vitamin C, Sudafed/Mucinex/Ibuprofen/Day/Niquil - and lots of sleep.  I don't push myself when I'm sick, I won't go to work or to class if I don't feel up to it.  If it lasts more than one or two days I'm at a doctor's office.  I know my body very well and I don't waste my time with natural remedies.  (OTC stuff usually doesn't work for me either.)

18. YvetteParker profile image75
    YvetteParkerposted 5 years ago

Drinking hot Hyssop herb tea is my favorite method for curing upper respiratory symptoms.