jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think regret is healthy?

1. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

Do you think regret is healthy?

2. MsLofton profile image70
    MsLoftonposted 5 years ago

No I don't, I think at times regret can cause negative emotions or keep us focused on the wrong things.

3. AmyEliza profile image60
    AmyElizaposted 5 years ago

I think it is normal for humans to feel regret. People like murderers and psychopaths do not feel regret or remose and that is abnormal human behaviour. On the other end, I believe that feeling too much regret is not healthy. If it is over a long period of time and is consuming your life to the point where you can't think rationally and is interfering with your daily life then it is not healthy. At that point you should seek therapy.

4. libby1970 profile image71
    libby1970posted 5 years ago

Yes I do! I think it shows you have a conscious! People who regret have feelings for others in what they did or didn't do! Those who have no regret may or may not have feelings for others! It is good to reflect on ones actions be it good or bad! Either way you are not doing things blindly and it may help you make a better choice in the future!

So, yes, regret can be a healthy thing! Someone who regrets everything and worries way too much can make it an unhealthy thing though!

5. iwriteforyou profile image72
    iwriteforyouposted 5 years ago

For me personally I determine whether regret is healthy or unhealthy by looking at the behaviour that follows.

For example Person A may regret something and they will identify the mistake and figure out how to avoid the same error in the future.

Person B may also regret some element of their life but they will develop negative associations,  experience reduced self esteem and/or indulge in destructive behaviour.

I think we can all find things to regret in our life but it all comes down to our ability to learn and move forward.

6. algarveview profile image89
    algarveviewposted 5 years ago

I think regret is not healthy it can consume a person inside, it ages people... Everyone fells regret for something sometime and although it is necessary, it can be bad if it's always there, if we cannot not move forward, because that's what regret is, always looking back and we really to to move forward to be able to live our lifes properly...

7. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 5 years ago

Yes it is healthy, but I agree with MsLofton that if it carries too far it will have a negative effect on a persons life.

8. profile image49
    Dawnkayesposted 5 years ago

Regret is a useful emotion if you learn from it. The question to ask yourself is what did this teach me and how can stop it from happening again.