jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think regret is unhealthy?

1. breathe2travel profile image80
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

Do you think regret is unhealthy?

2. Georgie Lowery profile image92
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

To an extent, regret can be good. We can learn lessons from the mistakes we make. Too much of it, though, and we become neurotic messes!

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

I agree with Georgie in that just enough regret to learn from our mistakes is healthy.  However to live with regret typically means living in the past - and we can't reach our fullest potential living in the past, we have to be present and fully aware.  In the present and with full awareness there is no room for regret - so it is a very intriguing question where I think the answer can be both "yes" and "no" depending on how it is applied.

4. Cristale profile image84
    Cristaleposted 5 years ago

I also agree with Georgie. But also holding on to it can drag you down and hold you back from what is really possible ahead!

5. profile image0
    Jade0215posted 5 years ago

Georgie wins again. It has it's good and bad points but it you're constantly worrying about an action that took place that you know you shouldn't have done in the first place, it'll definitely stress you out and depending on the stress level it can result in depression, heart disease, obesity, and it's even thought to cause cancer. But it does help you learn from your mistakes and hopefully you can make things better or move past it.

6. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

It is probably impossible not to have some regrets but yes I would think if it goes on and on, it might be unhealthy as there is simply nothing you can do about it.  As Georgie Lowery says, it can be good if we learn from it. If, however, we let it inhibit us from moving forward, then it is unhealthy.

7. GoldiString profile image60
    GoldiStringposted 5 years ago

. The times when you lie down at night and ask the what ifs question and linger on a thought did i make the right decision? To regret is like to slowly build a negative energy within you. But then life will give you more situations where your deciding prowess will be put to a test. I say whatever you decide on, stand up for it. And say: "No regrets!"

8. profile image51
    Barbara11posted 5 years ago

Regret is both healthy and unhealthy.   Allow me to elaborate in further detail.  Initially, regret is a normal response when someone has done something they are either not proud of or when it affects or negatively impacts the lives of others, including one's own.  When this occurs, it leaves a feeling of sadness, remorse and regret.  This initial response is to be anticipated.  Regret is an indicator that our emotions our in check.  Without it, how can one gauge their words, actions and behavior?  Regret is not unhealthy in this circumstance.  However, in order to proceed without allowing remorse and guilt to stifle one's life, we must accept any wrongdoing, forgive ourselves, and move on. 

Regret is unhealthy when we continually harbor on our mistakes, allowing it to become an obsession.  It serves no good purpose to carry on excessively.  Everyone makes mistakes.  Everyone has experienced regret on one level or another.  However, we must learn from them.   

If possible, an individual can try to correct the mistake, ask forgiveness, forgive oneself, and vow not to repeat it.  Our words and behavior are powerful weapons.  We need to use them wisely. 

Remember that we are all humans and "to be human is to err."  Then move on. 

Try positive affirmations, ie.  I am a good person, worthy of happiness.  I shall remain joyful in all circumstances.  I can do better and I will.  I will not allow this to disturb me anymore.   I've done all I can.

All battles begin in the mind.  Change your mind and you can change your life.

Good luck.

Barbara11

9. Ashantina profile image61
    Ashantinaposted 5 years ago

Yes if it is a constant in your thoughts, then youre living in the past. But, if it is a trigger to make changes for your present and future and you've somewhat let-it-go, then No.

10. Virginia Lea profile image80
    Virginia Leaposted 5 years ago

I believe some regret is good, that means someone feels remorse after something not to good has been done. But too much of course is not good. Too much of anything is bad. So to answer your question yes it can be unhealthy if overdone.

working