jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do we overeat unknowingly?

1. Vegas Elias profile image28
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

Do we overeat unknowingly?

Is the amount of food we eat absolutely necessary?

2. Rev. Akins profile image76
    Rev. Akinsposted 5 years ago

Most restuarants serve way too much food, and I think many people continue those portions at home. I have had to learn a lot about portions and nutrition after being sick for most of a year.
    One thing I have to keep reminding myself with my kids, if you make a fist that is basically the size of your stomach, consider fitting the food in front of you inside that space at your next meal.

3. artist101 profile image69
    artist101posted 5 years ago

Cravings, and binges on certain foods, can be an indication of what our bodies need. So, yes, we do overeat unknowingly. Overeating carbs, may be hypoglycemia, or a lack of serotonin. All white four and white rice, carbs, have the two key ingredients missing, trytophan, and chromium. So, we in turn over eat them, because our bodies are not satisfied. Craving salt, could be a mineral deficiency, such as magnesium. We will keep eating chips, because we are not satisfied. Deep fried foods, would imply a need for fatty acids, an absolutely necessary nutrient for every one. So, the amount isn't as important, as the type of food we eat.

1. artist101 profile image69
      artist101posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for voting as the best answer.

4. Gabriel Wilson profile image93
    Gabriel Wilsonposted 5 years ago

I would have to say some people absolutely do. If you told a portion of the nation to keep food diaries for a week, I bet a million dollars people would leave items they've consumed off the list, simply because they forgot they ate it or don't really count it as food.
    People over eat for many reasons, one that seems very common is boredom. The evening also seems to be a time when people intend to over indulge. Large portions are also to blame as is lack of knowledge. Many people don't have a clue about fat content or calories and don't want to know either.
    A mars bar and a can of coke total almost 450 calories, that's a lot of calories; almost a quarter of the recommended calories for a woman per day.
    Fast foods are ladened with calories. And many restaurants use oodles of fat and cream in their dishes. Even coffees and pastries can have a colossal amount of hidden calories as do pre made sandwiches.
    Unless you prepare everything yourself it can be difficult to know exactly how many calories you're eating.