What is the best way to keep a healthy weight?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (23 posts)
  1. VirginiaLynne profile image91
    VirginiaLynneposted 11 years ago

What is the best way to keep a healthy weight?

I've just spent a year losing over 40 pounds on two different weight loss programs which I've written about in Hubs.  Now I'm close to my goal weight and am looking for ideas of how to stay that way.  What are your best tips for keeping a healthy weight and preventing weight gain?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7402290_f260.jpg

2. John Sarkis profile image81
    John Sarkisposted 11 years ago

Believe it or not, even fast food places now have cal count next to their items on their food board.  Additionally, my brother was telling me about a restaurant opening near up our home which practices what they call "portion control," which is something we Americans have a problem with.  We live in the greatest country on earth, so our food portions in restaurants are naturally larger and that's a no-no when trying to keep fit.  It isn't that we can't eat comfort foods from time to time, but the portions are the real problem!

3. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 11 years ago

I think the Paleolithic diet is a good healthy diet to maintain weight.   It is a somewhat low-carb diet and the reduction in sugar and carbohydrates consumption help to prevent weight gain. 

I wrote about the Paleo diet here: http://blissfulwriter.hubpages.com/hub/ … ithic-diet

4. Robert Brainard profile image59
    Robert Brainardposted 11 years ago

Although consistent exercise plays an integral role in maintaining a healthy weight, people tend to forget that nutrition is even more important than exercise. My tip for you is to eat real food, which means minimizing your refined sugar intake and staying away from fast foods. If you like to snack eat a piece of fruit or some baby carrots or some nuts. Just stay away from things like soda and candy and potato chips and double cheeseburgers and large fries. I wish you luck.

5. d.william profile image75
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

I agree with John Sarkis.  It is not what you eat so much as the quantities of food we consume in one day.  It is best to eat very small portions 4 to 6 times a day to fool you brain into thinking there is no longer any need to store fat around your body as it does with sporadic eating habits.  Eat mostly fruits and vegetables (all varieties) as each of them offer something different in nutritional values, and of course sea foods. 
    We really have no need for the excessive intake of meats in our diet.  The same protein that we receive from meats can be found in nuts, legumes and other natural foods. 
    Moderate exercise is also indicated.  Turn on some music and dance with yourself (or a partner if one is available) for 10 -15 minutes a day, a minimum of 3 times a week. 
    There are also many "free foods" you can pig out on that will cause you body to burn more calories digesting them than are in those foods.
    You can view my hub regarding losing weight the fun and easy way, or go on line and search for those "free" foods.   
    Dieting should never be a chore - that is why we tend to go off them more often than not.  Unless you physical conditions prohibit certain foods, none are truly off limits if taken in moderation.  Cheat with a piece of real chocolate, small portion of all natural ice cream, or some other decadent desserts a couple of times a month to satisfy those cravings.

6. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 11 years ago

Here are my tips :

* keep a weekly date with the weigh scales.

* cut down on heavy meals late at night!

* limit snacks to one fruit/oatcake/raisins

* after every meal rest for fifteen minutes or so then take some form of exercise - walk for a half hour, do some domestic chores, stretches, simple warm ups and so on.

* invite a friend to be your weight buddy so are motivated to keep this regime going on a daily basis.

* walking is an excellent way to keep trim but challenge yourself by choosing a longer route with inclines from time to time.

* yoga and other stretch/movement activities can help maintain weight but discipline is needed - has to be a 4/5/6 day week activity.

* balance the diet, smaller portions when necessary.

* swimming can be a bonus as part of overall exercise regime.

* after a month if weight increasing look to lower calorie intake, have last meal earlier or cut down size of portions.

7. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 11 years ago

Losing weight is easy for me. Imagine that I was 80 kg a month ago and now I have reduced it to my healthy weight of 72.5 kg according to my height.

My wife is surprised and I tell her the secret of weight loss. Now she believes me as I have done it without those tedious weight loss program you may see online or offline.

My secret is CONTROLLING your CALORIES. Yup, just as simple as that. I normally eat 2000 calories but now I cut down to 1500 calories. That's all I did and now I am happily maintaining my good BMI.

8. Laceylinks profile image78
    Laceylinksposted 11 years ago

My daughter and I dropped over 35 pounds about 3 years ago. This is how we maintain our weight:
    #1- Staying away from fast food places and being very choosy at the rare restaurant meal. We eat mostly at home and carry a lunch to work.
    #2- Lots of apples, bananas, oranges, broccoli, kale, spinach, cucumbers, bell peppers, romaine, mushrooms, onions, garlic and other vegetables make up my daily diet. Occasionally I throw in a chicken breast or a salmon steak but not every day.
    #3- I don't use processed sugar, having long been a fan of Stevia for sweetness and keeping my sweet tooth satisfied.
    #4- For snacking I love peanuts, walnuts, soy nuts and dried cranberries in a mix with a sprinkling of dark chocolate M&M's.
    #5- I drink water almost exclusively.
    #6- I cook with olive oil and use it in salad dressing.
    #7- I have a very active job, and my daughter goes to the gym at least 3 days a week.
    Your lifestyle should support your effort and make weight control easy, so it may mean some changes- but it's worth it!

1. profile image0
      kylesandersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was going to reply to this question, but then I saw this. Choose this one.

9. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

A combination of weight programs. By eating low calorie meals once a day, you can cut down on your usual calories. Try to make those once either in the morning (to boost your metabolism) or for dinner (so you use more calories you already have). You don't have to cut out sweets entirely, just one or two candies a day. The other side is a work out routine. Mine is three days a week. One day devoted to upper body, another to legs and butt, the last devoted to abs. Try adding a fourth day for biking or swimming. With this combination of weight loss, I've lost 10 pounds in one month.

10. Paul Kemp profile image66
    Paul Kempposted 11 years ago

If you want to stop paying attention to portion size, counting calories, and working out like crazy to burn off excess weight, chose a whole-foods, mostly plant-source diet. Meats and cheeses, dairy foods in general are full of fats and fats are more than twice as many calories compared to starches.

I just read a very interesting report on the diet of the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico, who eat such a plant based diet. Not only is their weight ideal, but their cholesterol and other markers of internal health are favorable for a long, active life. The Paleo Diet folks have a romanitcized fantasy of how much meat the rural primitives actually ate. In fact, on average, it was not that much except in extreme climates where there was little choice.

My concerns about the welfare of animals, together with my wide reading about the foods our digestive system works best with, convinced me a long time ago that the plant kingdom is the best place to get my food.

When we get past the age of retirement and we see what our friends that didn't last that long ate, the evidence is pretty convincing. Like on the race-track, finishing the race in good shape is the best proof of what I'm saying here.

11. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I suggest you eat breakfast everyday, preferably hot or cold ceareals (oats are my favorite) with lowfat milk. This will jump-start your metabolism. To kick your metabolism into high gear, I highly recommend eating kimchi and drinking yerba mate tea everyday for 2 weeks. You will see a difference.

12. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 11 years ago

Get daily exercise, learn to eat in moderation and adopt the motto: eat to live...not live to eat.

13. Dr. Ben Griffes profile image60
    Dr. Ben Griffesposted 11 years ago

It is very important to eat breakfast and to eat 5 or 6 small meals every day.  This prevents your body from thnking it is "starving" in between meals, which then slows down your metabolism.  You are burning calories whenever you are digesting your food, and this means you increase your metabolic rate, and thus, more calories burned throughout the day.  Also, eating "whole" foods is way better in maintaining a healthy weight, like snacking on a handful of almonds or walnuts; baby carrots and hummus, or an apple with peanut butter.  These types of "in between meals" help you stay healthy, keep up your energy, and reduce the liklihood of you scarfing down a huge meal at the end of the day because you're starving.  Also, drink a glass of water in between every meal, which helps keep you hydrated.

14. jodeci profile image59
    jodeciposted 11 years ago

I think the best way to maintain weight is a plan of healthy diet and an excercise program. Make sure your diet consists as many fruits and vegetables as possible, limit red meats as much as you can. Instead of red meats (you can still eat red meats but a a reduced level) substitute chicken, turkey, seafood or fish.
    You also want to make sure to drink plenty of fluids especially water. You can drink teas and juices watching out for sugar content.

Once in a while you can allot yourself a treat with dessert but not too often. If you have to have a dessert try to make it mostly fruit like sherberts, water ices, and fruit bars, you have to watch the sugar content in these as well unless you make your own fruit slushes that way you know how much sugar you are getting.

Then choose an excercise you enjoy like jogging, dancing, try to find different types of excercises to keep your interest so that you can vary your routine.

15. gags3480 profile image60
    gags3480posted 11 years ago

Well, cycling & less oily food keeps me fit

16. cam8510 profile image92
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

Eat when you are hungry.  Stop when you are full.  Take a walk.

17. Fitnessover35 profile image60
    Fitnessover35posted 11 years ago

You have already gotten lots of great advice here.  One essential add-on...lift weights.  Often neglected by women who fear getting big and bulky, weight lifting is perhaps the best way to lose or maintain weight.  And certainly the best way to build lean, healthy muscle.

18. ThePrincessMC profile image59
    ThePrincessMCposted 11 years ago

First off, I recommend you evaluate what you have done on these diets.  I like to think of weight lose as a lifestyle. Most weight loss programs don't focus on helping you change your lifestyle... you simply follow their plan and then after the plan you return to your old habit and fail miserably. Deprovation gets old after a while and then comes the cravings. Basically, you adapt your new plan to a life plan.  If you had to avoid sugar, opt for a natural, low calorie sweetner to replace sugar... the truth is, one day you will want something sweet, and how will you acquire this without falling back into your old habits.  I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that you have to adapt the plan you followed into your life plan and do this without depriving yourself.  iam gluten free by necessity.  I still eat bread, but gluten free bread.  Funny thing is, now that I know I can have it, I don't crave it as much.  Whenever I want bread I have it and move on. I have learned to bake gluten free as well.  Another suggestion is to juice, but use 50/50 (veggies/fruits).  When your body start fueling from these things it will want them more.  The sweets will be less desireable. And most important, do not allow yourself to go hungry... eat small, frequent portions to encourage motabilization.  Now that you have lost the weight, plan to be more active. Have fun and celebrate your accomplishment. Congratualtions on your weight lose and good luck staying healthy.

19. anguillaparadise profile image59
    anguillaparadiseposted 11 years ago

Follow a healthy diet, and if you are overweight or obese, reduce your daily intake by 500 calories for weight loss.

20. Stickypony profile image67
    Stickyponyposted 11 years ago

Don't eat junk and move your body. It's simple yet hard smile

21. Puspanjalee profile image61
    Puspanjaleeposted 11 years ago

First of all, do not skip your breakfast. It is the best way to maintain weight as well as to stay healthy. Stick to oats and whole fruits instead of juices.

Try to walk as often as you can. Use the staircases in case of two or three floors.

Just relax and smile always as u r in the photo. It will relieve your stress about the weight gaining!!

22. AngelitaRose profile image59
    AngelitaRoseposted 11 years ago

Your lifestyle should support your effort and make weight control easy, so it may mean some changes- but it's worth it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)