jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)

Have you ever been struck by lightening?

1. harmony155 profile image71
    harmony155posted 5 years ago

Have you ever been struck by lightening?

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

No, but my husband has.  We were in Fort Wayne during a horrible thunder storm.  We were going to Vacation Bible School with the kids and he dropped us at the gymnasium door, and went to park the car.

As he got out of the car, he put up the umbrella and there was this huge loud crack and sparks.  It hit the tip of the umbrella and bent it.  Thankfully, the umbrella had a wooden handle.  He was taken to the hospital but was okay.  He still gets a strange tingling feeling in his nose whenever there is lightning.  His fellow students at the seminary started calling him Sparky.

1. harmony155 profile image71
      harmony155posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, what an experience! I'm glad only the umbrella got hit!

2. fpherj48 profile image76
      fpherj48posted 5 years agoin reply to this

YIKES!!!   close call.

3. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

Just once.......April 1st. 1967, when I met the love of my life.

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image98
      Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Nice... I'll second that!

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image98
    Daughter Of Maatposted 5 years ago

No, but I have been standing at my kitchen window when a bolt of lightning struck just outside of it. I saw it touch the ground, most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I felt it too, when it's that close you feel a strong jolt for lack of a better term.

5. kristyleann profile image60
    kristyleannposted 5 years ago

No, but when I was a kid we lived in a trailer and once during a storm we suddenly felt the entire trailer shaking like crazy. It scared us half to death. We went outside later after the storm and a big tree in the backyard had been completely split down the middle. My dad said lightening must have hit it and bounced off and hit the trailer.

6. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 5 years ago

I know people who had struck by lightning and they are in terrible shape as half their bodies were badly burnt.

These people happened to be using the phone when the lightning struck and causing a 3rd degree burn.

7. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

I have not been struck by lightening but was in the den next to a bathroom when lightning struck the tub. I was 11 or 12 then and had not experienced anything like that in my life. It was a cast iron tub and while I can't remember if the tub was wet or not the lightning literally burned a line down the length of the tub from the metal faucet to the back of the tub. The noise was loud and very scary to me at that age.

8. honeybee2u profile image61
    honeybee2uposted 5 years ago

No, but my parents caution me not to use metals or stay close to objects that can conduct electricity during thuderstorms with lightning.  Two of our relatives (a mother and child) were struck to death (burnt) by lightning when the mother was carrying her child and a aluminium pot and knife and walked in a torrential rain and thunderstorm.

9. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 5 years ago

I have never been, but when one of my daughters was in high school, lightening struck the ground right in front of her....thank God she wasn't struck by it!!

10. unknown spy profile image77
    unknown spyposted 5 years ago

Nope.. but I did witness when my cousins were struck by lightning, she was saving their antenna and her brother was helping her. She was thrown to the ground and we rushed her to the nearest hospital.
    Hope it'll not happen to me..

working