Is this the lightening Jesus was talking about in Luke 10:18?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Claire Evans profile image63
    Claire Evansposted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7679583_f248.jpg
    This picture of the Vatican being struck by lightening was taken just after Pope Benedict resigned.  It has disturbed even non-religious people.   

Luke 10:18

Jesus replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.

Say same the Pope's resignation is a Saint Malachy prophecy fulfilled.  Read about it here:

http://beforeitsnews.com/conspiracy-the … 48414.html

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lightning strikes all the time. I knew the conspiracy nuts would be all over this and his resignation.

From accuweather.com

"The Empire State Building in New York City is hit by lightning 100 times per year. If the Basilica is properly grounded and an attractive source for lightning strikes, it's possible that it gets hit every time a thunderstorm moves through Rome."

1. Jewel01 profile image62
        Jewel01posted 11 years agoin reply to this

uninvited way to hit the nail on the head.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You would think Satan falling like lightning from heaven would be a little more noticeable than a lightning strike hitting the tallest object in the area.

If I remember correctly isn't there a huge metal topper on the Basilica to boot?

Yes, to stop lightning from setting fire to the building smile

2. Claire Evans profile image63
          Claire Evansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it doesn't have to be more spectacular than that.   Satan is subtle, too, you know.

3. Claire Evans profile image63

Yes, you just assume we are conspiracy nuts.   And thanks for stating the obvious that lightning strikes all the time. 

It could be argued that it is a  coincidence.  Still, even non-religious people think it's disturbing.  I do not believe in coincidences as in the case of those in the occult.

1. profile image0
          riddle666posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Who is that non religious people who think it "disturbing"?

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
          Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Claire you are claiming 'Still, even non-religious people think it's disturbing.' where is your source for this statement?

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
              Kangaroo_Jaseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So your source for that statement is quoting someone's opinion on a website.

Being an atheist I can suggest all these theories are built on a house of straws and I don't believe any of it.

Yes, I said some non believers would it disturbing.  That is their opinion.

1. adrianroc profile image60
                  adrianrocposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe it is disturbing and it is not because of my human conditioning. Is that what they call believers of prophecy these days, "conspiracy nuts?" Glad to see there are still persons like you Claire, don't let the judgement of others thwart your perception.

Thank you.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80

Not everyone, you have shown numerous times that you will believe anything and everything is satan.

2. JMcFarland profile image69
      JMcFarlandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lightning strikes the top of the Vatican all the time.  I even have pictures of it happening when I was in Rome when I was 14.  Either "god" hates the church - or its a natural event with no significance whatsoever.  why try to turn it into something more?

Do we have any verification that this picture was even taken when it says it was?

The consensus does seem to be that it is legitimate, taken by a professional photographer.

2. Greekgeek profile image79
        Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here's a good video of the strike from the BBC:
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21421810

The bolt hit in the evening around 6PM. The Pope's announcement was at 11AM.

I find it fascinating, just because we LOVE to impute meaning into things that have none. It's a fun coincidence.

But as the rationalists above noted, St. Peter's, as the tallest building in the area with a metal roof that's one giant lightning rod, gets struck all the time.

Just for fun, I just did a Google search limited to January 1993-Feb 1, 2013, and came up with a few links:

"Archbishop Comastri said part of the restoration project includes putting up a new lightning rod "since a lot of lightning bolts hit the basilica." - June 2005
        http://www.catholicnews.com/data/storie … 503533.htm

Fringe website with conspiracy theories galore sees huge significance in lightning strike on St. Peters in 2002:
        http://www.texemarrs.com/042002/heavens_fury.htm

Other cathedrals struck by lightning:
        https://www.riga.lv/EN/Channels/About_R … aznica.htm
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremen_Cathedral
        http://www.ultimateitaly.com/the-cupola  (Duomo in Florence was inspiration for St. Peter's Basilica)

What are the chances of this photographer capturing this picture at the right moment?  It's interesting to note that Jim Cavaziel who played Jesus in "The Passion of the Christ" got hit by a lightening bolt while filming the Sermon of the Mount scene. When Jon Mikalini, an assistant, went to Cavaziel to ask if he was okay he got struck, too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3209223.stm

When one of the Muslim actors saw this he converted to Christianity on the spot.

http://www.cbn.com/700club/guests/inter … zel_2.aspx

I also recall the film, "The Omen" when the priest wanting to warn the ambassador of his son being the anti-Christ gets struck by lightning and dies.

Some people believed the film was cursed because separate flights for both actor Gregory Peck and executive producer Mace Neufeld were struck by lightning when flying between the USA and England, and producer Harvey Bernhard was barely missed by a lightning bolt in Rome.

1. profile image0

Even god can miss! Tell him practice make perfect.

2. johndnathan profile image73
            johndnathanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Modern professional digital cameras can take a good 10 pictures per second continuously.  If the user needs to capture something even more precise their camera can take a short burst of upwards of 100 pictures per second.  So timing it right is not as hard as one might think.  Also the pic could have been from the hundreds of times the roof was hit in the past.

I'll accept your explanation.

3. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 11 years agoin reply to this

satan (adversary) falling (to be thrust down as in overtaken by a stronger opponent)  like lightning (the gleam of a lamp, by extension, short-lived).  This verse when looked at closer says basically "i see your adversary ( we have the word adversity now but not then)  overcome like the putting out of a candles flame".  The next verse reads "behold i give you power to ... overcome your adversaries - paraphrased.
      There is a difference between falling like (smilar) to lightning and falling as lightning. Jesus was pretty much giving his disciples a pep talk.
      Satan being here used has no more purpose than to purport catholic doctrine. Remember we must marry the OT and NT together to form our conclusions.

Yes, you are right.  It isn't supposed to be literal but I do know that Satan is often associated with lightning.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
          Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Err where?

4. Disappearinghead profile image61

Yeah right this site contains videos trying to advertise testosterone to me.

2. tngolfplayer profile image74
    tngolfplayerposted 11 years ago

Probably just denial of resignation.

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

Hey, what do you think happens when a guy gives God two weeks notice? That takes some serious ca-hone-ays!

I'm loving the theories and extrapolations! They sound so, um, primitive...

1. profile image0

God does not like notices and he was all along planning to sent Satan as a lighting the moment the pope give notice.

4. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 11 years ago

In all honesty, I would be led to believe that this photo was taken on an earlier date.  There has been no "proof" that this was taken when claimed.

No, it was reported on BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21421810

Thunder and lightning is rare in winter in Italy.

2. Greekgeek profile image79
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The BBC posted a video -- not a photo, a video -- of the same strike.

Do really think they were sitting on that video waiting for a chance like this, and wouldn't have released it sooner? It meant tons of views whenever they posted it.

Claire, I am distracted in all this discussion by the fact that your name means "lightning." wink

It means clear or giver of light.  Not quite lightning.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61

Lucifer means 'Shining one'; are you Satan Claire?

What a stupid question.

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

I'm afraid you have your myths mixed up here Claire. Zeus sends the lightning. This probably means he was making sure the Vatican knew he was displeased.About something. Probably the inexpensive Christmas decorations this year. Or, the pedophile scandal. I doubt the news of the Pope's resignation has reached Olympus yet.

1. johndnathan profile image73

Zing!

6. atomswifey profile image56
    atomswifeyposted 11 years ago

I'm not saying that this is a prophesy from Luke but one has to admit that the odds of a giant bolt such as this striking at the exact place and the exact time of his resignation is astounding! What it means if anything I don't know but still it is astonishing and thought provoking.

1. johndnathan profile image73

It was a couple of hours afterwards that the lightning struck.  Also this sort of event is not uncommon as St. Peter's Basilica is the highest point around and made of metal.  It is in fact a huge lightning rod.

Humans are good at recognizing patterns and linked events... even when the events are not linked in any way at all.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The likelihood of any given thing in isolation is remote (the likelihood I would wear non-matching socks today, or that my dog would have a spot shaped like a heart, for example).  But there is no reason to be surprised by this particular one. It is a tall building.  And lightning occurs in this country about as often as it does in any other country.

3. Claire Evans profile image63

I don't think it is a prophecy but I think it's pretty clear lightning represents Satan.  I've got this annoying habit of making my forum titles ambiguous.  It wasn't the exact time of his resignation but a couple of hours later.  It was also disturbing that Cardinal Angelo Sodano said the resignation was “like a lightning bolt in a clear blue sky.”

There was another incident with a lightening bolt regarding the Vatican:

"John Paul II, head of the Roman Catholic Church, and Patriarch Bartholomew, symbolic head of Orthodox Christians, together, on Thursday, June 29, from the balcony of the basilica of St. Peter, blessed their faithful all over the world. They addressed a common appeal for the reunification of the Christian churches, separated for 1,000 years. The two religious leaders came to participate at a mass in the Vatican, where they undertook to redouble their ecumenical efforts...

In an atmosphere charged with intensity...ambassadors credited to the Holy See, members of the Sacred College, and numerous high officials of the Vatican, the Pope, and the Patriarch each in their turn spoke...to express their intention to 'dispel' the misunderstandings which have separated Christians… since the 11th century...

The Patriarch underlined "that today, happily...we have arrived at a maturity." The Pope, in turn, suggested that papal authority would have to be supreme in a unified Church because Christ had given Saint Peter, the first pope, free power to rule the flock on earth.

Patriarch Bartholomew then asked Christians to pray and fast to oppose the power of the Devil and to drive out demons. At that exact moment, all the faithful were startled by a lightning bolt which struck the basilica, followed by a violent summer storm."

http://www.texemarrs.com/042002/heavens_fury.htm

1. profile image0
        brotheryochananposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If we think that the vatican has any special place in the kingdom of God we are sadly mistaken.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Wow, Satan gets busy in the spring and summer doesn't he, and the occasional winter thunder storm?

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seems that hell must get even hotter during spring/summer so he might need a little R&R in the physical plane and well while here, why not stir up a little trouble? It is his bread and butter ya know wink

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's funny how we have evolved to understand lightning is produced in weather patterns while others evolution has gone from Zeus to Satan.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)