How can we work toward living simpler, less complicated lives?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Amy Gillie profile image86
    Amy Gillieposted 6 years ago

How can we work toward living simpler, less complicated lives?

2. neildabb profile image71
    neildabbposted 6 years ago

My gut reaction is turn off the TV and the cell phone.  The information and stress of these two items can quickly become overwhelming.  Turn the TV back on ONLY as a source of entertainment, but consider spending the time without TV and Cell phones in the outdoors observing nature (even city dwellers should be able to find a place to do this, try the local park or a friends back yard).  Since the realities of life probably won't allow this radical change for any length of time, try it for just a short time each day.  I suspect you'll find that the time away will improve the rest of the day.

I believe limiting the information that we are bombarded with daily can be a great first step toward simplifying your life.

3. connorj profile image79
    connorjposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7032561_f260.jpg

I think it is quite easy in one respect and quite difficult in another respect. It cannot be done without significant preparation, planning and sacrifice. Let me repeat, it takes significant preparation, planning and sacrifice to accomplish. One must realize that the easiest path to this is to begin with finding and qualifying for a career that you enjoy, love, and if I may add one which gives you significant authority and flexibility or at minimum autonomy. That elliminates most occupations; especially if you are young and just beginning. It also is somewhat illusive; especially for those in a hurry to get married and think they need to make money today instead of a few years later after graduate school.
    Yet if you indeed get through graduate school and delay your money-earning years just a few years the payoff in terms of autonomy, pay-scale, flexibility etc. can be significant.
    This however, is just the beginning. Graduate School alone cannot always lead to  simpler and less complicated lives. One or two or a family of more, must endeavor to make choices that truly protect your autonomy/independence and resist your craving for a higher and higher salary or compensation point. This is most difficult to do. I certainly did not do it at first; yet I have learned otherwise. Yet if you are excellent at what you do; then indeed, you can insulate yourself and build this independence or autonomy rather than complicated interdependence or need for more and more cash.
    I still use my "cell" and actually text to my children and I certainly do not equate this communication as a complication or route away from simplicity. Although I do not watch much TV I do enjoy it on occasion and consider it as a most invaluable teaching & learning device.
    What I have been most blessed to have been able to do is (in my opinion) is not to want for much and also have been provided for from others primarily because of my occupation and most significantly through God.  Therefore, I would be less than honest if I did not advise you to look to God. Your answer lies there...

4. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 6 years ago

Mentally and emotionally, I live simpler by just asking why this matters so much to me, will it matter still in five minutes? An hour? Tomorrow? Is it worth getting upset over it?
    Once one has that down, it's easier to look at objects and say do I need this? Is this of used to me at the moment? Once a day? Once a week? A year?
    This is on par to looking at services, except the question is "how does this contribute to my growth or stability?" For example, cable does not. Car insurance does not contribute to either, and thus I have neither car insurance nor cable...nor do I have a car. The bus gets me around just fine, and allows me time to read and unwind from my day. It ensures I walk when buses are not available, and thus I get my exercise in.
    At the end of the day, the best question(s) to ask is "How does this contribute to my being?" "Is this a positive or negative experience I need to carry with me?"
    Don't be afraid of complicating things too with simplicity. A very basic example would be instead of wasting money on batteries for the remote control, chuck the remote and get up to work the TV manually. Or instead of writing in "leet speak" when writing, write out the whole word, give your hand some exercise.
    Don't give into the stress and remove the subtle stresses, such as excess bills that are not essential to existence.

5. profile image0
    vonda g nelsonposted 6 years ago

Find a true friend and you will find your answers.  btw you can be creative with how you go about "finding" your friendships.  CiaO

6. Tonipet profile image84
    Tonipetposted 6 years ago

By not seeking for more of what we can afford. This way, we go content of what we have and make the most of what is there. Less wants is less expenses and less hassle is less stress; not only giving us the chance to live simply, but the priveledge of knowing the better aspect of life in expecting less for something more -- better life. It's the way I see it.

7. Admiral Murrah profile image70
    Admiral Murrahposted 6 years ago

I do not know of the one, sure-fire answer that will suddenly make your life simpler and less complicated. What I have found is that developing a lifestyle that focuses on simpler and less complicated helps. Here are some simple guidelines:

1. Do everything you agreed to do.
    2. Do not encroach on other people or their property.
    3. Take care of your family and yourself.
    4. Take care of your what belongs to you.
    5. Spend time in prayer with God each day
    6. Show gratitude for kind deeds done for you or to you.
    7. Say please and thank you.
    8. Ask yourself, "Do I need this, or want this?"
    9. Avoid fast food and chain stores.
    10. Eat simple
    11. Think before you speak, and realize you do not have to give your opinion on everything.

These guidelines will take you a long way on the way toward a simpler, less complicated life.

8. pstraubie48 profile image85
    pstraubie48posted 6 years ago

Set priorities. Decide what you really value. That will dictate where you life leads. If you are consumed with getting ahead and acquiring more things, you may not be able to achieve a simpler, less complicated life.
    Don't get me wrong. Having the money we need to have a comfortable life can still yield this more simple life. But if the acquisition of things drives a life there is little hope of achieving a life that is free of external pressure to be something grandiose.

Some things happened in my life and if you read some of my hubs about my family you will see what they are, that caused me to let go of things I once found so important. What is truly important in my life are the relationships that I have with my family and friends. All else is just stuff.

9. Opulent1 profile image59
    Opulent1posted 6 years ago

Not buying everything on the shelves. How many pairs of shoes or dresses can one wear? Get a cell phone without all the bells and whistles, a television that is not necessarily 60 inches and up. Get a pratical car because it's fuel efficient and not be set in getting a luxury car because your next door neighbor has one (and you can barely make the payments...) Keep your home clean and neat while keeping the decor simple yet tasteful. Take the monies that you would have spent on yet another yard sale and build your retirement/vacation plans. Eat healthier as best you can, even growing your own veggies (space permitting). Overall, keep our minds clutter free.

10. profile image50
    Giddy Geezerposted 6 years ago

Well Amy, as you have heard the old saying go "you can't stop progress" but nobody ever said you can't shut it off! Turn off the tv's, cellphones and computers for a while and go cloudwatching! Plant a little garden, sit and read a good book in front of the fireplace or go out and build a snowman(if you live in Florida this advice is not for you.LOL Think of something you would like to decorate with in your home and learn to make it with your own hands(like crocheting an afghan for example). Resolve to make your own Christmas gifts this year or simply write a heartfelt letter to a friend or loved one the old fashioned way. Above all else learn to say no. If you want to lead a simpler life you must make time for yourself and it is impossible to do that if you are busy doing things for everyone else. I am not sure what is complicating your life so I can't really give you more specific advice but these are some things that I love to do to unwind!

11. Diana Lee profile image80
    Diana Leeposted 6 years ago

We need to rethink what grandmothers across the globe have said for years. "Waste not, want not."

12. Preethi Anusha profile image79
    Preethi Anushaposted 6 years ago

OMG ... this is quite a complicated Q
    well asked ... now I'll ponder upon it for few days for sure ;-)

13. anuws profile image61
    anuwsposted 6 years ago

Avoid attachments, avoid craving and desires, stop thinking this is mine, that is mine..

see this example;

A man asked Lord Budda, "I want happiness"
    Lord Buddha replied
    "First leave 'I' that is ego, Then remove 'want', that is desire. see now you are left with only 'happiness'

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)