jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What's the best low-impact exercise method?

1. tiinayy profile image64
    tiinayyposted 5 years ago

What's the best low-impact exercise method?

Walking is one of the most recommended low-impact exercise people can try. Is there something better, more challenging and more fun than walking?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

How about giving yoga a try. You can start out at your own pace and build up to where you want to be.

3. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

I do what I call 'kids' walking which involves normal walking, jogging, sprinting, tree climbing, branch pull ups, stretches and hill work! I've developed it over many years. It's essentially what a child would do on a normal walk - mix things up!! Like you I find just walking sometimes not enough for my body - it needs to go a bit faster, loosen up. So I might start off walking but after a few minutes turn the walk into a soft jog, then the jog into a bit of a sprint. When I'm thoroughly warmed up I do stretches - usually in the park or in the woods on a track. Simple stuff but enough of a challenge to get the juices flowing.
    I may climb a tree if there's a good one available, not too high. I might then try pull ups on a strong branch. I then try some short sprints, say from one tree to a post, 50-70 yards, jogging back, relaxing, then sprinting again. I might do a total of 10 - 12.
    Then I round it all off with a mix - walking,jogging, skipping, sideways skip. I usually end up walking home on the last stretch, although I have been known to sprint the last 100 yards! Depends! It's not scientific at all but it could be put into a structured regime!
    I would say this is low impact exercise because I only spend a max of 45 mins at any one time, and I never overdo it!
    I should write a hub! Thanks for the idea.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I was going to suggest walking.  I think bike riding is a good one as well for low impact.

5. fitmom profile image84
    fitmomposted 5 years ago

Swimming, biking, yoga, and pilates are some low impact exercises that you can choose from. I would choose an activity that is fun to you and would do different activities to keep it fun and challenging for your body. Our body's adapt to exercise, so it is important to mix it up.

Best ~ fitmom

working