What is better: To be healthy, wealthy or wise?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (29 posts)
  1. LA Elsen profile image72
    LA Elsenposted 12 years ago

What is better: To be healthy, wealthy or wise?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 12 years ago

To be healthy by far. Without your health you have nothing. It is no good to be wealthy or wise from the grave. Both are useless without good health.

3. Tracy Mason profile image61
    Tracy Masonposted 12 years ago

I agree, it's better to have your health. I took my health for granted, then had a heart attack last year at the age of 41!  I was realizing my dream of becoming a hotelier and had more money than I ever had before, however, I paid the price for trying to be wealthy. I am now broke and trying to get back to full health...but I am definately wiser than before!

1. Tracy Mason profile image61
      Tracy Masonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

aww thats nice, voting my answer best.....thanks!

4. remaniki profile image79
    remanikiposted 12 years ago

Without health, there is no use being wealthy and wise, so health is the most important aspect of one's life with which you can always work your way up to accumulate wealth and gain wisdom.

5. Faith Reaper profile image87
    Faith Reaperposted 12 years ago

One's health is best to have for sure.  However, if you are wise, you may be more prone to be healthy and wealthy, but not really.  As wise people become ill too.

6. heatherleex profile image60
    heatherleexposted 12 years ago

I'd say being wise.  If you aren't wise, then how can you create a healthy lifestyle for yourself or better your financial situation?

You can be wealthy, but blow all of your money on frivolous things because you aren't wise.

You can be healthy, but not exercise, not eat a proper diet, and smoke cigarettes, causing your health to decline because you aren't wise.  This doesn't include illnesses that are out of your control, but there is a lot that can be prevented with proper care of your health.

I don't have my health fully (autoimmune disease), or wealth, but I am wise--which helps me improve the other two things.  Better decisions are made when you are wise.

7. Express10 profile image78
    Express10posted 12 years ago

Being wealthy lends itself to better health and education and there are even research studies that prove so. Without money, one cannot pay for the things that lead to better health (whether it be food, a clean & safe home, health care, etc.) and the opportunity for better or advanced education which would lead you to be wise. I choose to be wealthy.

8. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

Healthy.  As someone who is surprised at how 60 feels, I would definitely take health. As JThomp42 wrote, without it we have nothing.  The other two choices, Wealth and Wisdom can be earned and learned - but health is often outside of our control.

9. ThompsonPen profile image65
    ThompsonPenposted 12 years ago

I believe that in wisdom one will see the importance of healthiness in the body, and the lack of importance wealth holds. So I truly believe wisdom is the best.

10. Rebecca2904 profile image67
    Rebecca2904posted 12 years ago

Healthy, definitely. It's no good being anything at all if you're so ill you can't enjoy it. Plus, if you have your health you can spend your time reading books and experiencing new things, in effect gathering knowledge and wisdom. Once you've collected all that experience, you can probably use it to make some money... but you've got to be healthy to begin with!

11. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Wise, then healthy, and wealthy last. A wise man will be all three because he knows how to care for himself and be wise to make good decisions to be wealthy.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 12 years agoin reply to this

A disease such as cancer can strike anyone? No matter how healthy that you have tried to live. Just sayin. Not disagreeing with you.

2. Tracy Mason profile image61

I tried to look after my health but had a heart attack...fit young people have cardiac arrests..for example Fabrice Muamba - a 23 year old English premier league footballer - who was probably paid thousands per week collapsed

3. profile image0

Exactly Tracy. We just never know.

4. Tracy Mason profile image61

I was 41 , running a 10 bedroom hotel, loving life then bangggg... heart attack....I was making great money but I am affraid it ccouldn't buy me an undamaged heart. I am wiser now, as I wouldn't stress so much or take that Vodka as much.

5. profile image0

So glad you are okay!!

6. Tracy Mason profile image61

Me too JT lol x

7. lburmaster profile image71
      lburmasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I said a wise man would know how to care for himself. Regular check ups so he would catch cancer in the early stage and be perfectly fine after some appointments and therapy. It's easy to see why you had a heart attack and I'm glad your fine.

8. profile image0

I'm sorry lburmaster. You are being so naive when it comes to cancer. I've seen people find out and be dead days later and had no idea they could possibly have cancer?

12. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 12 years ago

I would always choose Health.

Health can be a matter of genetics, living conditions, exposure to other people that you cannot always control.

With Good Health you can acquire wisdom and with wisdom, you can acquire wealth.

Therefore, the one thing you cannot fully control is your health. You can eat right, exercise and all the other things you are suppose to do, but there are some aspects to health that are beyond your control

Thus Health is the best of the three choices, and for the record they are followed by wisdom and wealth. The acquisition of material items ranks low on the list.

1. Conservative Lady profile image71
      Conservative Ladyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very good answer Larry - I concur with everything you have stated. Without Health the other things can't happen.

13. Easy Exercise profile image83
    Easy Exerciseposted 12 years ago

My grandfather had many great sayings and one of them was:

"If you have your health, you have everything".

He stated this to me when he was paralyzed from a stroke.

He essentially died from diabetes and sadly before he died he had both legs amputated in an attempt to fight the ravaged disease of diabetes.

Diabetes is not just a killer but it also severely affects our moods.

14. CrescentSkies profile image67
    CrescentSkiesposted 12 years ago

If you're healthy but foolish you're dead.

If you're wealthy but weak you're broken.

If you're wise with no wealth you're stagnant.

It's a riddle of resources. Do you want resources of the body, the material, or the mind. If you have only one then all you are is out of luck.

15. edhan profile image35
    edhanposted 12 years ago

Yes. I do agreed that health is the better choice.

Money and wisdom can be earned or learned but health is most important. Without having a good health, with all that wealth will be useless as doctors may not able to heal you.

Health comes first!

16. melbelle profile image60
    melbelleposted 12 years ago

I think if your wise, then the healthy and wealthy would follow.    But if for some reason having a lot of wisdom did not lead to good health or wealth, I would then say "healthy".

17. pstraubie48 profile image82
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

To be healthy is definitely the top of the list. Wisdom and wealth will be of little value if you are barely clinging to life. Not to say that wisdom is not important because a wise person will find a way to cope with a body that is not tip top.
    Being in poor health may not be because you were unwise. You may have been born with a malady that  you had no control over getting.

18. Kevin Peter profile image59
    Kevin Peterposted 12 years ago

I would give more importance to health because however wealthy or wise you are, an unhealthy body will not be able to enjoy anything. Only a healthy person can be wise and wealthy.

19. catmalone profile image67
    catmaloneposted 12 years ago

I'll choose health over wealth anytime.  Without health nothing matters. You can’t enjoy your wealth if you’re not well nor can you make wise decision.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)