jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

How does a hot body produce cold sweat?

1. Rhonda D Johnson profile image71
    Rhonda D Johnsonposted 5 years ago

How does a hot body produce cold sweat?

When our bodies are over heated they produce sweat to cool off.   Since the sweat comes from inside our bodies, how can it be cold?

2. HLKeeley profile image83
    HLKeeleyposted 5 years ago

Theory: I'm not sure if I am right, but I think it is because of heat exchange. The heat from our bodies goes into the sweat that gets cooler when hitting the cooler air.

I might be wrong though.

3. somethgblue profile image87
    somethgblueposted 5 years ago

Well you could ask a clam but they might clam-up on you, get it?

Your body is over compensating and trying to cool you down by producing what it needs to get the job done.

4. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

The sweat is not cold as it comes out of our body. It is body temperature, and is only cooled through evaporative cooling. I just looked up the numbers to be sure, and for each kilogram of water vaporized 2,257kJ of energy is used. Thus, your skin feels cold.
    Evaporative cooling works great and is also used to cool houses.It was very popular where I lived in the Sahara (people sprinkled water on the ground in the patio) and in some parts of the US it is called a swamp cooler.

5. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

I always think of sweat as cooler than hot skin because it's purpose is too lower  body temperature.

6. sassydee profile image74
    sassydeeposted 5 years ago

because the cool air hits it or our bodies are so hot that any water on us would feel cool!

7. Perspycacious profile image82
    Perspycaciousposted 5 years ago

Evaporation is the likely key, but a "hot" gall bladder attack can sure bring it on!

8. lukepetersen19 profile image76
    lukepetersen19posted 5 years ago

its actually not that cold your body is heated up so much that the sweat it produces feels cooler.

9. Dr Pran Rangan profile image87
    Dr Pran Ranganposted 5 years ago

Sweating is a protective mechanism to protect the body from the ill effects when it is overheated. Sweat takes up the latent heat of the body and is evoporated due to heat. The heat of the body is comsumed in process of evaporation of the sweat. Thus the body starts cooling down as its heat is used up. The sweat also takes up the temperature of the body, which is gradually cooling down and it appears that sweat is cold in comparison to the surroundings.

10. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 5 years ago

When you feel hot you sweat to feel cooler so the sweat is cold  when out of oyur body

11. profile image0
    danielabramposted 5 years ago

The sweat is cold because it interacts with the outside temperature.