If you are in a big city and the electricity goes out, what steps do you take to

1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image51
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 5 years ago

If you are in a big city and the electricity goes out, what steps do you take to survive for weeks?

Whether it is a solar storm, CME, Nuclear Blast, EMP, snow storm or hurricane, what would you do if the electricity would go out for an extended time?

2. Alastar Packer profile image83
    Alastar Packerposted 5 years ago

Here's a clue: when Hurricane Hugo came far inland on its destructive path in '89, it knocked electricity out over a very large unprepared area for many weeks. One thing quickly became more valuable than gold for the duration: ICE.

3. carol3san profile image61
    carol3sanposted 5 years ago

First of all, I would immediately survey and update my stock of candles and matches, flash lights and batteries, and kerosen gas for my latern.  Since I live in a condo, I don't happen to have a generator...but my daughter has one and perhaps I could borrow some juice from her for cooking and storing some of my foods.  I would probably buy bags of ice for my cooler, but speaking from experience (I survived several herricanes here in Southe Florida) the stores that sells ice tend to run out very fast, along with batteries and other emergency supplies.  Fortunately for me I've learned over the years to keep a decent stock of the supplies I've mentioned.  I also have a battery operated radio that I will be using.  I believe it is important to keep my car filled with gas during such times. We never know if something will happen that will prevent the gas from being pumped.