jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

The Grandmother Effect - Have you heard of it?

1. GoodLady profile image92
    GoodLadyposted 5 years ago

The Grandmother Effect - Have you heard of it?

2. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

I have, and I tend to think there's a good possibility that scientists are approaching this particular question "from unnecessary angles".  I don't know...    Maybe I'm just seeing what looks like a simple explanation to me out of my own ignorance of "deep enough" science; but even factoring in evolutionary hypotheses, I don't see why the question of why women outlive their reproductive capacity as a big mystery.  I think I'd like to write a Hub on this one.

1. GoodLady profile image92
      GoodLadyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was under the impression it had to do with being a useful grandmother figure in society - and by being so useful she lived happier and longer as a result.  Am I completely wrong?  I've been watching a TED talk on longevity and inspired by it to ask

3. annart profile image85
    annartposted 5 years ago

I hadn't heard of it but I would like to think that grandmothers have a great effect on all sorts of things, especially on their families.  If we can give advice and wisdom based on our experiences and observations, then that's the sort of effect which is worthwhile.  My grandchildren certainly keep me young and active too.

4. artist101 profile image70
    artist101posted 4 years ago

I just recently crossed that threshold, so to say I have experience, I do not. I can only attest to my mothers influence. A very accomplished, soft hearted, and intelligent individual. Her influence on our family, her courageousness, and determination have had a great influence on our family. To never give up, or throw in the towel, no matter how difficult the situation, or circumstance may seem to be. Rely on Jesus, remain calm, and confident that you can accomplish anything if you remain purposeful, and keep your eye on the sparrow.(told to me on numerous occasions) you will endure, and rise above it!! Something we all need in this time of current, and constant turmoil of a world that we currently live in!!!