jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Which movies are in your emotional/mental "first aid kit"?

1. Violet Flame profile image72
    Violet Flameposted 5 years ago

Which movies are in your emotional/mental "first aid kit"?

Whenever I hit a low patch, I have a couple movies that help making me happier. They are more then entertainment in a way. Which are your "natural happy remedy" in movies?

2. Diana Lee profile image84
    Diana Leeposted 5 years ago

Most comedies have a natural happy ability. I love those funny guys like Chevy Chase, John Candy, Dan Aykroyd, Jim Carey, Jim Belushi, Chris Farley, and the three stooges.  The entertainment  world has had many great talents over the years, but if the movie has any of those I just mentioned in it, it will heal the blues.

Violet Flameposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree! Nothing like a good laugh to chase the blues away!!!

3. jpesch1 profile image82
    jpesch1posted 5 years ago

"Under The Tuscan Sun" is my go to movie.  I love the scenery - beautiful! - but usually I need to feel empowered when I'm down and this movie does that for me!

Oh i must acquire that one, lol, amazing food and gorgeous men wouldn't go amiss either i guess, lol.

4. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years ago

Violet Flame,

I like "Desperately Seeking Susan," with Rosanna Arquette and Madonna because it makes me feel as if I could go away and live a different life if I felt like it. I also like "You've Got Mail," with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan because it makes me believe you can still meet someone great even in this day and age. "Sex and the City," both the series episodes, and the movies help me believe in romance no matter what you have to go through to get to it in life. "Nights at Rodanthe," with Richard Gere and Diane Lane, as well as "The Notebook," are favorites for me in the romance department as well. Lastly, "I watch "Christmas Vacation," each and every holiday season as many times as I can to remind me that no matter what happens during the holidays, nothing could be as bad as what happens on the Griswold homefront.
    Lisa

OMG I also absolutely love "You've Got Mail"as well as "Notting Hill" and "The Holiday" and "Love Actually" for Christmas. I also like "The Housesitter" by Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn but I couldn't seem to find it any where.

2. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
      lisasuniquevoiceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like "The Housesitter," too.

5. Violet Flame profile image72
    Violet Flameposted 5 years ago

My new favorite is The Intouchables (2012)!!! It is a french film based on a true story. It really helps me big time this coming month when things got really tough.

6. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

Comedies are good, but I usually tend to go for a spiritual boost.

"Being There," one of Peter Sellers last movies is both comedy and spiritual. I recommend not watching the end credits. The outtakes cheapen the effect.

"What Dreams May Come," is a more serious Robin Williams film, but it ends on such a high note, I'm left flying for hours or days.

"K-Pax," always leaves me feeling up, too, despite a few dark moments. Kevin Spacey is wonderful as a human possessed by an alien.

"The Count of Monte Cristo" -- 2002 version. I like this version so much better than the others. It ends with a spiritually fulfilling high.

"The Italian Job" doesn't have a spiritual side to it, but it just feels good. This is good story telling with a happy ending.

"The Illusionist" does have a spiritual side to it and a beautiful romance. But it also is smart and always leaves me feeling satisfied.

LOVE "What Dreams May Come", so uplifting and inspiring. just wrote a critique about it alongside Vincent Ward's recent Inhale/Exhale exhibition in Auckland! I'm fascinated about the life/death/akashic/mind theme. Will check out th others too. Thanks

7. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

Like Violet, love 'The Intouchables', watched it few times, it sums up nicely the times we live in right now:) When I am sad, I always watch 'The Forrest Gump', it is a classic that does the trick:) Right now, I am watching 'Michael Clayton' and it makes me think about our world even more...but many of George's movies do it for me....

working