jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Happiness: Is it a state of mind or determined by your situation?

1. elenagarcia profile image78
    elenagarciaposted 5 years ago

Happiness:  Is it a state of mind or determined by your situation?

Can one make the choice to be happy and, in that state of mind, actually be/stay happy?  Or, is happiness based on our situation at the time?

2. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

Every emotion is a choice. If something bad happens to you or near you, you choose how you feel because of it. If you let your current situation dictate your feelings, your life will be that of a roller coaster; Constant ups and downs. We, as humans, live life one of two ways... By the spirit, or by the flesh. If we live by the flesh, we are reduced to carnal beings who live on emotions and feelings. If we choose to live by the spirit, we will have control over our flesh and our emotions will never betray us. One of the hardest things a person can master is his/her own flesh. Happiness is a choice, only when it is determined by your situation is it giving into your carnal side.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

I know several will disagree, but I really think it is your situation. I mean take the holidays for instance, everyone is supposed to be happy. But, there can be circumstances that make people depressed. Chemicals in the brain cannot be self controlled.

elenagarciaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

yes, i understand, and it must be remembered.  there are those who suffer depression.  goes to show, things are not always just black and white.  thank you for your answer smile

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years agoin reply to this

You are so welcome elen!

4. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Happiness I think is indeed a choice.  I think the reason happiness seems to elude a lot of people is that they postpone it - well when I get married or have kids or get this job etc , then I'll be happy.  Well when we put happiness in the future always depending on something in the future, that's sort of where it stays I think.  On the other hand, we can choose to shift our focus onto what truly matters and to the blessings in our lives right now - and that brings real happiness that is easy to achieve with a little practice in thought/emotional control smile.  That being said they'll always be times when things happen that divert that happiness, but those who practice being joyful, can more quickly overcome life's challenges and get back to a state of bliss I think.

Thank for your answer. I welcome different aspects. Thank you.

5. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I don't think we can directly choose our feelings. But we can make choices that result in our feelings changing.

What we have direct control over is our attention. Many things are happening at once, all the time. What will we focus on?And how we will respond to that.

We can generate happiness quite quickly by focusing on something good, and choosing to feel grateful for it. This is a great way to get rid of the blahs.

We can generate happiness by allowing beauty and harmony (nature or art) to relax our entire nervous system.

We can generate happiness by taking something neutral, and making it positive. A Zen master teaches, Last time you had a toothache, didn't you say, "If only I didn't have this toothache, I'd be happy." Well, to day, you don't have a toothache. Keep that promise to yourself. Be happy for your "non-toothache."

We create a lot of misery by having specific expectations, such as wanting a holiday event to go a certain way. We create even more by allowing other people's ideas, such as "the holidays should be happy" to affect us.

When we must face something difficult, let us do it in a clear, helpful way. If we can't be joyful, we can, nonetheless, be peaceful.

For there is a deeper Peace that lies in our consciousness, completely independent of all circumstances and moods, just waiting to break forth into the world.

Thank you for that answer. Very well said