jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Salmonella poisoning/infection question?

  1. ii3rittles profile image84
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

    Salmonella poisoning/infection question?

    My husband thinks he has salmonella poisoning from Nesquick chocolate powder. He had been drinking it for over a month and he has been feeling sick to his stomach for 3 weeks now. Nothing serious but some days its hard for him to eat. We found out Nesquick powder was recalled because it was contaminated with salmonella. My question is, can I catch it from him, even though I did not drink the powder? We share drinks, food, ect. all the time.The past week I have had horrible bloating, gas, stomach pain and nausea. Its always after I eat. and it lasts for awhile. Same as him.

  2. Gary Holdaway profile image84
    Gary Holdawayposted 5 years ago

    Do you both feel better when you leave the house? If so get your boiler checked.

    I have no experience with salmonella as it is pretty void in our country, however it sounds like he could be suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome but hasn't recognised the trigger food. You could be feeling these feelings purely because you are worried about catching salmonella. The bowels are very easily effected by things such as anxiety, fear and stress, hence why you may be getting these symptoms.

    Of course that all relates to if you have not got salmonella poisoning, so get yourselves down to the doctor and ask a professional, especially if the powder has a history with the illness! Just bare in mind that stresses can cause these symptoms , so moving, arguing or generally stressful times could contribute. Please go to the doctor to make sure you don't have salmonella... That can cause pretty serious issues if left alone!

  3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

    Yes. Salmonella bacterial infections are contagious and can be spread by contact with an infected person if they handle food without washing their hands or taking other sanitary precautions. Salmonella is common, especially in underdeveloped countries, and it is commonly spread person-to-person. About 40,000 Americans a year will contract Salmonella. People have been infected by eating food in restaurants or communal living residences. I would suggest you both see a doctor immediately.

  4. renegadetory profile image98
    renegadetoryposted 5 years ago

    I looked up salmonella on the internet and the symptoms you have described for your husband sound more like lactose intolerance.  Salmonella symptoms are somewhat similar, but include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, stomach cramps and fever. Thus, I suspect something else is triggering it.  Yes, your husband can spread it you even if you don't eat the contaminated food.

    This info I got from my government on the public health website here:
    http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/fs-sa/fs-fi/ … la-eng.php

    Lactose intolerance symptoms include: abdominal bloating, gas, nausea and diarrhea.   

    I highly recommend visiting your doctor to get a proper diagnoses,  but in the meantime get your husband to stop eating the nesquick for at least a week and see if his symptoms don't improve.  I would also suggest staying away from all dairy products for a week too and see how he feels.  Then re-introduce dairy again and see how he feels.  What he is experiencing sounds like what I went through before I knew I could not digest dairy, and milk was the worst.

    Hope this helps and I hope you and your hubby feel better.

  5. ii3rittles profile image84
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

    Thanks for your answers. My brother had salmonella poisoning before and the doctor said he can't do anything for him, it has to pass on its own. Its a bacteria that if treated with antibiotics it can get out of control.I don't know why everyone immediately says GET TO THE DOCTOR! lol Our lives are not in danger, and if they were I would consult God before any man in a white coat. I just wanted to know if it can be passed along and I got my answer. Thank you.

  6. cat on a soapbox profile image97
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

    Since salmonella is more of a long-shot, I'd suggest you check the batch number on your Nesquik to that which was recalled. This info is available on the FDA site. The power of suggestion can bring on real  symptoms.
    This is the season for Norwalk type viruses , and they can come and go with mild or severe GI symptoms for over 4 weeks.
    Also, if you've been camping or swimming in the wilderness, giardia is a possibility. The protozoa feeds on lactose, so hot cocoa could bring on a flare-up. Try to avoid food handling when exibiting symptoms, wash hands well, and don't share food and drink.   Hope you all feel better soon!

    1. ii3rittles profile image84
      ii3rittlesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

      I was thinking about it more today and I think it is more likely a stomach bug as I don't feel sick, just my stomach is agitated. The numbers did match though! Thats why my husband though he had it.

  7. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago


    I sure do hope you and your husband are on the mend; I hate to see this kind of thing happen to a couple of newlyweds, especially ones as precious as you.

    I watched a tv show (not long ago), where they took some kind of black light around kitchens and found that about 75% of all kitchens, sinks, refrigerators, etc., have live salmonella bacteria on them. These surfaces should be cleaned thoroughly with a bleach solution, just to make sure that all the salmonella bacteria are dead.

    Best wishes and be well - C.J.

  8. Dr. Haddox profile image79
    Dr. Haddoxposted 5 years ago

    It was 6 days ago when you asked this question. I just came across your question. One of the main problems with gastro-intestinal problems of this nature is  the lost of body fluids that one experience with the diarrhea involved. Also the vomiting involves a lost of body fluids. This is a problem, not to mention the lost of electrolytes.
    So, this condition is serious.
    It has been 6 days, so your husband is probably better, especially if you have already gone to a doctor.
    If your husband is not better, and he has not seen a doctor yet, get him in ASAP, so that he can get the proper treatments. Okay?
    Take care.
    Dr. Haddox