jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does drinking caffeine make you high strung and/or aggressive?

1. Stina Caxe profile image86
    Stina Caxeposted 5 years ago

Does drinking caffeine make you high strung and/or aggressive?

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

No, but if I miss my morning coffee I do find myself more moody.

3. visionandfocus profile image71
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

Caffeine is a stimulant. It works on your central nervous system. In simple terms, it triggers the stress response of flight or fight, resulting in symptoms like pounding heart, shallow rapid breathing, dry mouth, sweaty palms. Some people who are more sensitive to caffeine can get quite shaky. I'm not surprised if high amounts of caffeine in your drinks make you feel high strung or even aggressive. A cup of strong coffee would do it in a sensitive individual, but for someone who's a habitual drinker, the effects may not be as noticeable. Of course, it does not mean that it's not doing any damage, just that the damage is going on under your radar.

4. Mrs Jil Manning profile image81
    Mrs Jil Manningposted 5 years ago

Yes it does!  I have a very occasional cup as a pick-me-up but its counterproductive as an hour or so later I feel even more tired and fraught.  I love the taste of good coffee, but too much will bring on a migraine, so I don't drink much.  I have two friends who both drink well in excess of 10 pints of coffee a DAY!

5. Abby Campbell profile image95
    Abby Campbellposted 5 years ago

Studies show that it depends on the person. Everyone's tolerance to stimulants (caffeine) is different. If a person has a high intake of stimulants and not enough nutritious foods, one may become high strung or aggressive for sure.