jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is there something in coffee or tea besides caffeine to make you jittery?

1. xanzacow profile image70
    xanzacowposted 4 years ago

Is there something in coffee or tea besides caffeine to make you jittery?

Even when I drink decaf, I still feel jittery. Is there something other than caffeine that causes this? Or is it that they simply just can not remove ALL of the caffeine?

2. Amber Vyn profile image61
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

'Caffeine-free' coffee and tea are - you guessed it - not completely caffeine free. It sounds like you're very sensitive to caffeine. Remember that it's an excitotoxin that plants evolved as protection against predators (bugs).

I love caffeine, but it's not for everybody. When my family gets together to chat and drink coffee, my aunt has a lovely cup of herbal tea.

xanzacowposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I am super sensitive to ANY stimulant, even cold medications. I have wanted to experiment with herbal teas, but am a bit leary, I do not know which herbs I can tolerate...

2. Sharicey profile image61
      Shariceyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@xanzacow I know I'm late to respond to this but I would suggest trying a peppermint tea. You can either buy it loose leaf or a tea bags. Peppermint is rather tolerable and simple. Teavanna has some wonderful variety of mint teas.

3. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 4 years ago

Not only are "decaf " teas and coffees not totally free of caffeine...they are also diuretics...and dehydration of the muscles in the body will jerk and twitch...thus the jittery feeling....you may want to stick to herbal teas, being Spring dandelions are abound everywhere and boiling the heads ( flowers) make a great " Dandelion tea "...you can also eat the leaves as they are full of iron...soda is also full of caffeine...Lemon water hot or cold is an excellent thirst quencher and it also cleanses the organs of the body....hope this helped..

xanzacowposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks KJ, I have eliminated all caffeine sodas from my diet for years now, I do love the occasional coffe or tea, though, as I love the taste. I drink more water than my weight, so I don't think I am dehydrated....just jittery! LOL

working