Has anyone used multifocal contact lens? If so, what was your experience with t

1. EsmeSanBona profile image81
    EsmeSanBonaposted 5 years ago

Has anyone used multifocal contact lens?  If so, what was your experience with them?

I'm getting fitted for contacts tomorrow and am wondering to go with regular or multifocal.  I have heard people hate that but that was only from one source.  I'd like other opinions.

2. Alastar Packer profile image84
    Alastar Packerposted 5 years ago

Don't care for them either, Anastasia. For one thing they make night driving less clearly visible. Nor did they help much with reading. My myopia isn't too bad so I can get by without contacts during the day unless driving of course. Depending on your insurance and all that you might want to just try some samples first before ordering your years supply of the regular or multifocals.

3. laidbacklady profile image79
    laidbackladyposted 5 years ago

Esme, the only one who is going to be able to answer that is you. Other people's experiences with specific contact lenses are just that--their experiences. Everyone's eyes are different. Some people, like me, with presbyopia and a lot of astigmatism, are lucky if they can find any kind of contacts to wear at all. I wound up choosing monovision. That is one contact lens in one eye for distance; one contact in the other eye for reading/up close. But before that I had tried on toric bifocals and daily multifocals. To be fair to all lenses I tried, I also have intense dry eye and after about 5 minutes any lenses I put in my eyes dry out completely. I only wear the lenses for weddings and special occasions, if even then.

Your optometrist or ophthalmologist should be willing to work with you consistently and try many different lenses on you based on the condition of YOUR eyes and on what you are looking to use the contacts for every day. Do you wear glasses now? Do you need vision correction at all times? Do you only need correction for reading? Do you need correction for distance or up close? Will you only be using them for occasions when glasses would mess up your look, like parties or special events?

Make sure and let your eye doctor know what it is you are looking to use the contacts for. And be honest with them as they try different lenses on you. Don't settle for lenses that are not completely comfortable on your eyes. Me? I can't wear them much at all. I hope your experience is different. Good luck with your contacts!