jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What Are Some Home Remedies For Acid Reflux?

1. PhoenixV profile image75
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

2. cat on a soapbox profile image98
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Occasional refux is manageable, but GERD is different. If you are a sufferer, lifestye changes work best: try to avoid acidic/spicy foods like tomato sauces and Italian or Mexican food- esp close to bed time. The same goes w/ alcohol. Alkalizing fruits and veggies are better choices.  No soda or coffee. Eat smaller meals throughout the day instead of large ones. Don't smoke!  Avoid pressure under your stomach: loosen belts and watch weight gain. There is some thought that peppermint helps. For me, it's worse.
    When I do get acid, Instead of proton-pump inhbitors like Prilosec, I'll chew a few Tums or drink a small amount of Bicarbonate of Soda (baking soda) diluted in lukewarm water. Another natural and less salty alternative is a regimine of oral activated charcoal.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

You need to neutralize the acid that is washing up in to the esophagus. Someone once told me that  if you have heartburn and need a quick fix, drink a glass of water, it washes the acid back into the stomach, although I don't think it would work for long.

Not a home remedy but Tums work pretty well.

4. MargaritaEden profile image74
    MargaritaEdenposted 5 years ago

Chewing licorice tablets will sooth and heal your digestive tract, more specifically DGL.