jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

How many take Melatonin

1. debfrench profile image61
    debfrenchposted 5 years ago

How many take Melatonin

How many people take Melatonin and for how long do you take it for? All so dose it make you have a bit of Diarrhea the next day and how long dose it last for .

2. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

I do not take it but my grandchildren take it. It was always a fight to get them to go to sleep. Their pediatrician told their mother to get them and now they drop right off. It does not cause diarrhea at all.
    My Dr. also told me to get it for my daughter. All natural and won't harm anything.

3. directorslounge profile image60
    directorsloungeposted 5 years ago

I had taken it for 3 or 4 months steadily about 5 years ago.  From what I remember it helped get my sleeping patterns back where they needed to be.  I don't, however, remember any negative side-effects from taking it.  I have thought about trying it again recently though.  It seems I've been staying up too late writing every night.

4. BlissfulWriter profile image66
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

I have never taken melatonin.  Although I think it is okay for short term use.  It is not recommended for long term use because if you continually take external melatonin, the body will decrease its own production of melatonin.   I was researching this for my article on insomnia: http://blissfulwriter.hubpages.com/hub/ … p-Insomnia

You might want to try the 10 tips in the article.  For example, sleep in total darkness which promote own natural melatonin production.   And do not use hair dryers at night whose EMF radiation can affect melatonin production.  There is also the theory suggesting the avoidance of fluoride toothpaste.

1. debfrench profile image61
      debfrenchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the help

5. joanwz profile image74
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

I take it. I find it helps me sleep well without feeling hungover the next day. I fall asleep easy and stay asleep. If I have to get up during the night to pay mother nature a visit, I have no problem falling right back to sleep. It causes no problem with digestive issues. I take 5 mg. nightly.

6. faythef profile image38
    faythefposted 5 years ago

Funny this..I just bought some yesterday, and will probably start taking it tonight...I took it years ago and found it to be very helpful in the area of STRESSS

7. Sonya-Artis profile image60
    Sonya-Artisposted 5 years ago

I tried it, but when my mind won't shut down NOTHING works.  It didn't cause diarrhea for me, nor did it cause any other issues.