What keeps you from what you want?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Born2care2001 profile image72
    Born2care2001posted 11 years ago

What keeps you from what you want?

Try answering these few questions to get the ball rolling: At the end of the day ask yourself: What did I hunger to do today, to be today or achieve today that went unsatisfied? What hindered me from achieving my goal? How, instead, did I appease my hunger? Was it my desire or someone else's. What did I learn? What do I believe? What will I do now?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7884136_f260.jpg

2. baja2013 profile image61
    baja2013posted 11 years ago

Two words: others' expectations.
    Whenever you left hungry for something, it is because you respect others' expectation. Sometimes it has sense but mostly not. Everyone has its own balance and it's always hard to find it out.

3. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 11 years ago

I agree; others' expectations can hinder you.  Sometimes you don't know where or when those expectations began, sometimes you do.  Regardless, they act as an automatic, internal programming system that often causes you to sabotage doing something otherwise pleasant in your life.  So, there goes that fun activity or item because "You don't deserve it, you didn't get 100% on ____ today,"  or because of any other negative message buried in your heart.  What do I do about it?  With Yehovah's help, I tear those old messages down and replace them with new ones!  Also, I practice forgiveness, put "it" in my dayplanner for a specific time (writing it down helps me actually do it), do my Healing Codes and make vision boards.  In these ways, I am changing what I "believe," am learning that Yehovah wants me to be happier, and am living a more abundant life by actually engaging in that art or music or social or ___ activity that I might have previously traded for some lame "busywork."  Great question, thanks.

Born2care2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Better yet, a great answer Elise! The further inside you dig, the more precious the treasure you will find. It was hidden there for a reason! Way to go!

4. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7886913_f260.jpg

Quite simply my lack of speed. If I was faster I believe I could indeed make that quantum leap to the "big leagues."  It was readily apparent earlier today that my significant weakness is speed. Although I managed to reach my goals twice this A.M. it was also readily apparent that if I as indeed in the "big leagues" today I would not have met any goals or for that matter an assist. I truly believe I would have become overly negative also. As it was, I did stay positive this mourn as our old timers team won.

Well John,
      A delightful answer! Once I read your profile I understood the answer better, along with the reason you have "tree" followers! LOL
      Somehow, I get the idea there is a man of great depth behind the comedic sarcasm. Congrats on the Book!

2. connorj profile image68
      connorjposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Born2care2001 and I appreciate your insight... Peace be with You.

5. taburkett profile image60
    taburkettposted 11 years ago

the answer:  ME,MYSELF, and I.
    I want it for me.
    I desire it for myself.
    I - I - I is the PC answer.
    However, if I wish to produce something required and important, then I need to accept the responsibility to teach others of the importance of the quest.  No other person should ever keep me from achieveing the truth.  When they attempt it, I must simply continue to support the truth.  This will then allow me to achieve the daily desires.

The acknowledgement of ones own responsibility is a primary factor. It is also necessary to acknowledge the importance of your dreams! You can do anything you decide to do!
      Thank you for answering!

6. lilmissmeg profile image60
    lilmissmegposted 11 years ago

i think when other people doubt what you want, it can cause you to really think about what it is your doing. For instance if someone important told you an idea of yours was stupid then you might reconsider what it was you were thinking. That happens to me sometimes where i doubt myself.

There are many of us to whom the opinions of others matters greatly. I'm sure we can empathize you on this one. When you are open, you will listen, but please do not forget that it is just - their opinion. The answers for you are flowing within you!

7. WoW Guide Master profile image71
    WoW Guide Masterposted 11 years ago

Other things I want more. That's what hinders me from things I want. I'll provide a consumer based example, as the principle is basically the same as with goals.

My girlfriend bought me a digital camera for my 21st birthday. She did this as I was going overseas to see family soon. I have never owned one, yet I enjoy the idea of casual (but not stupid tourist style blurred snapshots) photography.

The reason for this, is that I am a student with limited funds, and other items crucial to other priorities always outweighed the need for a camera. Unrelated; but this actually made it the best present of my life. Something I really want, almost need and can use, but would never purchase for myself.

A very thoughtful answer and congratulations, I hope you have a fabulous trip!
      I also liked the fact that you thought through your priorities. That's a great habit to continue. you may not always be right but at least you understand the consequences.

8. lilmissmontana profile image76
    lilmissmontanaposted 11 years ago

I suppose the best answer I can give is that it depends on what I want.

With materialistic items, money is usually what hinders me. With emotional issues involving people I care about, it tends to be fear of rejection or disapproval. I also agree with the fact that other's expectations can deter one from achieving goals.

Typically I appease my hunger with exercise, like a long walk or run, a phone call with a good friend and of course, writing.

9. nArchuleta profile image73
    nArchuletaposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately, money is often the big stopper for me. I want to have so many experiences, but so few of the ones I want (especially travel) are free. If I could wipe out my debt and even have a suitable nest egg, I would backpack across the world.

My other big barrier is responsibilites, especially others' expectations of me. I love the weekends when I can spend both days in front of my computer writing, researching, interacting with communities, and then go out and be with my friends. I also love being in the classroom with my students. But all the other responsibilities... well, I guess some people grow up, and some of us don't.

Wow, what a thought-provoking question. Thanks!

10. stanwshura profile image72
    stanwshuraposted 11 years ago

Fear, self doubt, depression, anxiety, cognitive and memory issues, lack of monetary, informational and other resources, fear of failure, failure...

11. Beata Stasak profile image78
    Beata Stasakposted 11 years ago

Perseverance and lack of energy, sometimes I have to give in to my body just doesn't want to listen any more what I want it to do....to my brain because it is just too exhausted to produce anything more at the end of the day and also to my heart because it is too bruised from unpleasant and hurtful experiences that it doesn't want to trust and love anymore....

Sending gentle, healing energy on international breezes so they might comfort your heart long enough to warm your spirit and strengthen the soul. Peace be with you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)