jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

How holistic are you?

1. definitions profile image60
    definitionsposted 4 years ago

How holistic are you?

2. Alexander Mark profile image85
    Alexander Markposted 4 years ago

Less than I would like to be, but it's all part of the same journey...

definitionsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

And I agree; it is all a journey and we all have much to learn...but the process is fun!  Thank you, Alexander Mark.

3. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

I would say that I'm about as holistic as anyone on the planet. Ken Wilbur formed a 4-quadrant model of holism for philosophical use that is way too small for me. My model currently contains 16 components.

On a practical level, I am aware of my wholeness and role in a larger whole at 6 levels: body, emotions, mind, energy, soul, and spirit, and I am aware of each of these in two dimensions: inner (experiential); and outer (reflective).

I work on all health issues in three aspects (just for starters), body, non-verbal experiential mind, and verbal-analytic mind.

My business and life frameworks operate in the same way. My holistic model for business has 7 frameworks. And I live and teach this stuff.

Also, many people who claim to be holistic, set up "holistic health" or "natural health" or "alternative health" against the mainstream. Or they focus on politics, and set up "non-violence" against "violence." I don't do that. I am glad that Western medicine contributes flush toilets and diagnostic tools and emergency rooms to the wholeness of our health. I am a deep pacifist, and yet I respect the Allied leaders of WW II, and even one of the Japanese leaders. Holism is inclusive.

Similarly, my business framework could work for a Fortune 500 Company, for a government agency or university, or for a small or one-person ecologically oriented alternative business.

On a neurological level, I believe we become more whole in our experience of life and way of living as we activate all six neural centers (heart, pre-frontal + neocortex), analytic brain, experiential brain, primitive brain, and belly brain and integrate their functions in a harmonious way.

It's all about becoming more aware and growing in wholeness as we recognize our place in the whole Dance of Life of this world and cosmos.

I really agree with your hub on holisticity - it is a never-ending growth process. This is where 40 years has gotten me.

Thank you for such an in-depth response.  I would agree with you that you have a true holistic outlook!  I admire your ability to make linkages between holisticity theory and lifetime deliverables. We all work to increase our level of holisticity.

4. yupperclub profile image75
    yupperclubposted 4 years ago

I would have to say that I am very holistic.  I believe more in concepts that the nitty gritty details.  Once a concept is understood, one can go on to the next concept instead of wasting time on all the details - unless, of course, the details are on interest to you.  I have read comments by sidkemp and agree with him.  Perhaps I am a little moreso.  I have a tendency to be lazy when it comes to details.  So I just move on to the next concept and delegate the details to others (if possible) or tend to the details myself when absolutely necessary.  Hope this kind of answers your question or inquiry.

But surely the awareness that you are not perfect 100% of the time is key to gaining your holisticity?  I actually think you are more holistic in your focus than you let on smile  Thank you, yupperclub

2. SidKemp profile image94
      SidKempposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest that holism means embracing both the concepts and the details. Interestingly, all of the creators of holism were engineers, scientists, biologists, physicists - all very precise in attention to detail.

5. erorantes profile image53
    erorantesposted 4 years ago

I guess normal. A person  Who does a lot of thinking before responding to your question. I work, read, drive, listen to music. I love dancing. I love to cook. I clean my house. I'm a student and I'm a writer for hub pages. I live my life correctly.

It sounds like things are going really well, erorantes, and thank you for responding.  I agree, true holistic focus is all about seeking clarity in different areas of life, and indeed the definition of normal is quite interesting and unique.

working