jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

What were your tricks for stopping smoking...FOR GOOD?

1. whitneybraun profile image88
    whitneybraunposted 4 years ago

What were your tricks for stopping smoking...FOR GOOD?

I am currently on my 7th day of not smoking, cold turkey. This has been an off-and-on battle of mine for the past 13 years. I would really love to stop for good, but it's so hard breaking the actual HABIT. I still see myself as a smoker.

Any advice?

2. stars439 profile image73
    stars439posted 4 years ago

You have a very good question. I stopped smoking by keeping a pack of cigarettes available to me. I kept my one pack in our refrigerator. If I drove anywhere I would keep my unopened pack in my shirt pocket.
    If you are a cigarette smoker you will get nervous if you do not have a cigarette handy in , and emergency. Nervousness will make a smoker want to smoke more.
    If you keep cigarettes near you, it isc easier to resist them.
    Don't lose hope if you give in , and smoke one in, and emergency. As long as you want to quit, you're desire will be to smoke less.
    Have cigarettes available will help you to quit, just avoid using them as much as possible.
    Today their are aids that help people quit. They may be a little expensive, but that might help too.
    It is good that you want to quit. I have COPD. It is hard , for me to breathe. Let me save you're life please, and try to stop smoking. It is no fun fighting , for oxygen. It takes away all you're energy, and that is not good , for a man that likes to work, and enjoy the oudoors with his family. Please, please, pleae, please keep on resisting them. God Bless You.

whitneybraunposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your encouraging words stars... I will keep trying! God bless you too!

3. jaydawg808 profile image89
    jaydawg808posted 4 years ago

I'm of no help, because I'm not a smoker.  I think the best bit of advice would be to have never started and given in to the temptation of ever smoking. 

However, I had a colleague stop smoking by taking Chantix.  He's never smoked again.

whitneybraunposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wish I could go back and tell my 15 year old self the same thing.

2. jaydawg808 profile image89
      jaydawg808posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Don't look at the past. Look at the present and that you're making positive steps in the right direction to make a change for your health!

4. Amber Vyn profile image61
    Amber Vynposted 4 years ago

Building on stars439's response, there are great benefits to reducing smoking. If you still have a cigarette during times of stress or one in the morning or whatever, that's fine. It doesn't need to be all or nothing.

For nicotine replacement methods, they're perfectly safe to use long-term - even for the rest of your life, if that's what you want/need. It's the TSNAs in cigarettes, not the nicotine, that are so harmful. 

In other words, there's no need to have a battle. This is a biological and not a moral issue.

5. chef-de-jour profile image99
    chef-de-jourposted 4 years ago

Well, a combination of things. I didn't use any aids or special tablets or anything like that. The impetus to stop came from a conversation I had with some friends and colleagues plus an article I read (which had some pretty graphic pictures of smokers' lungs!! up close) when I was in my twenties and still a smoker - I got so disgusted with myself I made up my mind within a day or two to stop this stupid habit.
    The turning points were the lung pictures and talking about the obscene profits some of these tobacco companies were raking in. I'm so very glad I stopped - I did increase my exercise and sporty regimes straight after that decision. So I think I used the power of my own mind and heart - no way was I going to give any more money to those stupid companies just to get cancer of the lungs!!!

I wish you all the best. I hope you can do what I did - but I know it's very difficult.

6. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I tried every "trick" in the book and it didn't work.  The only answer is cold turkey in my opinion, because anything else is just prolonging the suffering.  The first 30 days are roughest, but you'll still have those periodic urges for a long time.  Just acknowledge them and instead of saying "I can't have a cigarette" for example, I turned it around in my mind to "I don't do that" or "I choose not to smoke"... you'll be surprised how just simple changes in thought patterns and directing your thoughts can help.  Instead of deprivation (I can't") it's about choice and being empowered.

As you quit, take up a hobby to appease your need to hold something and do something with your hands.  Don't eat in place of smoking, perhaps take up exercise to help your body process the toxins faster and to relieve the stress that you may have relieved previously with smoking.

Above all else, if you slip, don't throw up your hands and use it as an excuse to keep smoking.  Fall down, get back on the horse.

7. lisasuniquevoice profile image75
    lisasuniquevoiceposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8032425_f260.jpg

whitneybraun,
    I smoked the e-cig for about a year after I quit regular cigs, and then quit the e-cig.
    Lisa

working