Does depression affect people more during the winter?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. aviannovice profile image82
    aviannoviceposted 11 years ago

Does depression affect people more during the winter?

2. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

In a general sense, I would think yes. However I'm sure summer must also be depressing for people whose personal circumstances don't allow them to fully enjoy summer.

aviannoviceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So you don't feel it to always be a seasonal factor?.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 11 years ago

I would think so since that brings the holidays which often causes depression. Think I read sometime about the lesser light also being a factor.

I had heard that, and it makes a lot of sense that these times would trigger it.

4. EJ Lambert profile image67
    EJ Lambertposted 11 years ago

That is a complicated question.  If you mean in northern climates where there is snow and such, then yes.  People by their very nature like to be outside in the fresh air and open spaces.  Being cooped up inside for long periods of time, while tolerable, can get monotonous and hard on the body.  On the flip side, if you live further south where the cold is not a problem, then I would say depression isn't either.

I just meant in general.  Thanks for your input, too.

5. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 11 years ago

Yes, there is seasonal depression that is triggered by shorter days and less sunlight.  People in Northern areas tend to be more frequently affected as their days are substantially shorter in the winter.  A treatment that has had positive results has been to install lights behind the curtains to make it appear as though it is still daylight outside.  People cheered up a bit.

Glad to hear that the extra light helped people.  Do you know if lightbulbs that have more blue in their light cast(to emulate daylight) help?

6. profile image52
    viola staggsposted 11 years ago

Yes take it from someone who has massive depression disorder.The cold weather monthes are very painful.It seems you ache twice as much.The sun warms from the outside in if you know what I mean.
       Even if you never stick your head out the door the warmer days just seems to help some.No one want to be in the gray all the time.Sometimes the sun can burn through the gray in the summer.

Do you go to a warmer climate for the summer to help battle this in your instance?

7. Fraise profile image60
    Fraiseposted 11 years ago

I think it can do due to the evenings becoming darker much quicker especially if you live where i am...and  with less sunlight and dull chilly days and nights it can put a dampner down on your mood especially if you're not as active.

I used to live in Maine, so I understand what you mean.

8. sagar phd profile image60
    sagar phdposted 11 years ago

Depression is psychological disorder and it is so common that it is referred to as the "common cold"  of mental health ....and according to me the affect of depression is same in all the seasons....as it is a psychological thing and it doesn't matter whether it's summer or winter ....there are many depression tests that helps to identify the symptoms of depression.

So then, you completely discredit SAD as a depressive disorder?

2. sagar phd profile image60
      sagar phdposted 11 years agoin reply to this

it's my personal opinion on this topic and of course SAD is a depressive disorder

3. Borsia profile image39
      Borsiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Clinical depression is most often caused by an imbalance in brain chemistry. So it is a psychological disorder with a physical root.

4. aviannovice profile image82

Borsia, will medication as well as counselling be successful in combating this, or is it not so simple as that?

5. Borsia profile image39
      Borsiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Any really good shrink will tell you that it is a black art. If you are lucky meds alone can be the answer. For some therapy helps as well. For around 50% neither does much and therapy is all there is. It depends on how one reacts to meds.

9. DDE profile image46
    DDEposted 11 years ago

Weather can be depressing  especially if it is winter,  we have five months of winter in CROATIA and the worst is when it rains, can't get out and that can be depressing if you let it be.

Ouch!  That would really hurt me, not being able to tromp around the lake making new discoveries.  At least here in OK(USA), it generally won't rain the entire day.

10. Borsia profile image39
    Borsiaposted 11 years ago

The holiday season also has the highest suicide rate. So people definitely feel depression in winter.
    Clinical depression isn't seasonal for most but the added stresses of the holidays can compound problems for many.

I want to hear more about this, Bosia.  Can you expound a little more on this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)