This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is used to quickly and efficiently deliver files such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisements has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

In what ways do you bridge between the virtual HubPages community and whole pers

1. Emanate Presence profile image78
    Emanate Presenceposted 4 years ago

In what ways do you bridge between the virtual HubPages community and whole person interaction?

Answering questions and responding with comments online can be fun and informative, yet for me it always feels 'split off' from a whole experience of having real dynamics with others. // Is that because this virtual communication, even when written thoughtfully and with some heart, is still mental? // It feels at times almost like sitting across the table, or around a campfire, but never fully and only in mental imagination. It does not involve the whole person. // So I am wondering, has anyone else felt this? Do you ever meet in person with other hubbers over a cup of coffee in your area?

2. Becky Katz profile image82
    Becky Katzposted 4 years ago

I have made some really good friends on here. I know I could count on them if it was needed. Of course, we also e-mail.
    I have met one of the hubbers whose work I read and it was a fun experience. She came over to my town, we met for lunch, and then went out to a local State park to enjoy some nature. We had a good time and I would love to get with her again. Unfortunately, that has not been possible lately.

Emanate Presenceposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Becky, glad to hear that your in-person contact was a fun experience.

Twice, in the 90s, I also met in-person with online contacts. As I look back, those were really pivotal experiences. Stories in themselves & positive life-changing for everyon

3. Lisa HW profile image71
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

I don't feel at all "split", and I suppose it's because I only expect so much out of what amounts of snippets of interaction online, even if there's some substance and/or length to a "snippet".

This will sound very unfriendly, but one thing I don't expect to find online is a real-life, long-term, "serious", friend.  Even offline friends can be in different "levels of depth".  Some friends are more casual then others, so we limit some types of interactions to whatever is appropriate for the particular relationship.  We can have some very real moments offline with stranger too.  I recall a time in CVS when another woman and I got laughing hysterically over buying Halloween candy.  And then, as the line in "Come Saturday Morning" goes, we moved on.

On HP Answers I generally look for questions that do call for some "real-person-ness".  One reason is that I don't feel like giving an  "information-only" answer to an "information-only" question because I tend to think about how people have been known to ask "information" questions and then post the best answers on other answer sites for money or points.  So I look for questions that seem to call for offering something "human and real", and if it gets copied somewhere else; well, then, fine.  I offered it to SOME one out there.  If, though, the person asking was "legitimate", then even better.  For that moment while I'm writing my reply I'm imagining someone who "legitimately" has that question and thinking about how I can offer such a person as good and sincere a reply as I'm able to come up with.

For each moment like that I'm being about as real and sincere and "me" as I'm ever going to be, and every one of those "authentic" moments contributes yet more to my own feeling very real and whole and somehow connected to "the world" - or more importantly, that at least one other person somewhere has had his "question" or idea heard by at least one other real person.

So much of what folks do/say online or off is fake.  I imagine a big bowl, of fake fruit that one might offer the world.  Then, though, I imagine a tiny dish on which a few pieces of real fruit is offered.  As a person, I'm content and "whole-feeling" in knowing that whatever I offer "the world" - no matter how small or insignificant - is real and is offered with the idea of "trying to offer something" rather than trying to get something for myself.

Trying to be a friend to someone doesn't always have to mean becoming a long-term friend.   :

Lisa HW,

The only words of your answer I do not agree with are, 'This will sound very unfriendly...' None of the answer sounded unfriendly.

It sounded direct, honest and real. Also insightful & enriching!

I look for deeper dialog, not friends.

4. Emanate Presence profile image78
    Emanate Presenceposted 4 years ago

Online means an easy choice for anonymity.

If we become uncomfortable with someone's comments, or the direction is not attractive, we can just 'disappear.'

There is no agreement of commitment or accountability here. Not that such is needed or desirable, it is just an observation of the nature of our commenting with each other.

Certainly reasonable or no expectations towards an online exchange will help avoid dis-satisfaction.

The Qs & As that attract me usually have some philosophical note. Some choice to explore new angles on universal subjects like 'What is your perception of death?' or provide usable input such as towards the real-life question, 'How would you address a student question about the topic of god/s?'

A relationship does not have to be long-term to be profound, that is true.

In my own examples, a couple in Phoenix saw my online activity in the 90s and invited me to visit them, from Atlanta. I flew, stayed with them several days, we went to the Red Rocks of Sedona and to less-explored canyon lands. We did 'healing' sessions with each other. Had natural conversations each day. Discussed options for working together. In the end, we each went our ways. It was a significant stepping stone for me, and a memorable experience for them.

Another couple, who lived in Atlanta when I did, invited me into their home for weekly psycho-synthesis sessions over a period of six months. That was also a turning point for me. I had enmeshed myself in a self-limiting belief system, and the inner work we did together enabled me to make tough choices and begin to be more true to myself. Their lives were deeply touched.

Lisa, I especially like your "...every one of those "authentic" moments contributes yet more to my own feeling very real and whole and somehow connected ..."

I know that is true for you. It happened for me once on HP, with the 'topic of god/s' question.

My Q here came up from some self-analysis.

I do not 'expect' others to have had the same experience, though the description asks.

The discontent keeps appearing on my plate, though. I would like to have *more* real-life dialog, something that has a choice to deepen. I feel that my participation in the Q & A, addictive as it is, uses a small part of my gifts - mostly mental, which is not what I want to exercise.

This is not necessarily my farewell. I don't want to just disappear without notice from the Q & A, and am pondering.

5. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

Hello Emanate Presence. I read what was here first after your questions, Becky Katz & Lisa HW and yourself had posted at this time. I will from the get of go share the term virtual is obvious stating not necessarily non-existent, yet more so having a connotation of almost.

There is an old saying in the field of auto repair and machining that "close" only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades. Tending to be with regard to getting something machined to spec and works, the car after an alignment goes straight, handles correctly, and does not wear tires.

Some talk amongst cognitive scientist is that it is easier to watch a movie than it is to make a movie regarding home movies and that as an enterprise. In essence the time is the same as maker and viewer yet the effect and the inspiration are of the comparison. The contrast and compare of those two are the ensuing dialogue. That tends to remain in the course of affect never reaching or realizing the effect.

The flow some say is the before the before, the before, the now, the next, and finally the then. Yet, when does then end. Another view is there is inspiration, cause, affect (some say those are the same and others say interchangeable), and effect.

The allusion brought into the discussion is it is mental even if well written or not well written. It is differentiated by the phase usage of "split off." [Footnote: An author much greater than I and a mentor shared that 'word' is a word with horns and "word" is a word with wings. I still ponder that too said with a smile smile . . .] Again, in the chat world those symbols are significant and immense meaning. Like five exclamation points is a grad slam !!!!! A single exclamation point was strike one!

What bears upon the discussion could be said is both purpose and purposeful. Using chat room symbols in a chat setting could cause an emotional stir and blend could get really bubbly, really steamy, really steaming, and just simmering. I ask of trust with the outcomes of those in a volatile setting does offer real life events to unfold. Now I ask you to believe me the consequences at times are beyond dramatic and at times life and death circumstances with metaphorical language and not playtime. Then ask again for trust.

Consequences of interactions are consequences. The goal in my humble opinion is the purpose, which are hubs. The longest length of a answer comment is one page or near 500 words. A comment could be a rough draft. Ponder Finding Forrester . . .

I love it!

virtual = almost

virtual & 'actual'? - yet effect & inspiration are the comparison

'word' is a word with horns - haha! - my ' is for looks.

the purpose, hubs. - yes, HP's purpose.  yet why change something into what it is not?

2. tsmog profile image81
      tsmogposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hello EP! I ponder how many times with a why & a what only having been here for 2 yrs. I would think the knowledge of change would be interesting. Ponder HP began 6 or 7 yrs hence. Then chat was the universe. Evolution from chat to hubs? Niche?

working