jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

How often do you weigh yourself?

1. Blond Logic profile image97
    Blond Logicposted 4 years ago

How often do you weigh yourself?

Many people weigh themselves every day.
    Do you feel this is counterproductive to losing weight?

Picture Pixabay and Nemo

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8223608_f260.jpg

2. Maggie Bennett profile image72
    Maggie Bennettposted 4 years ago

I weigh myself pretty often about once a day or at least every other day.  No it is not counterproductive, it helps me keep things in check. 

Weight is becoming a major issue for me.  While I am better than average compared to everyone around me I am still over weight.  Something is being done to our food.  I really do (not just think I do) eat the same amounts and types of foods I always have.  The difference is in the manufacturing of foods - they now have a much higher caloric intact and we still need to eat the same amount to feel satiated.

You now practically have to eat like a bird to stay thin or in the normal range. Just look at the caloric intakes on menus today?  One meal is more than half a days calories and this is before a beverage is even added.

I will continue to look at my scale.  The reality of the number facing me there is what keeps me from having that bowl of Ben & Jerry's, or will motivate me enough to turn up the music and dance around my living room.

Blond Logicposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you about the food.  The diet food industry and drug companies don't want their customers to be healthy  otherwise they would be out of business.Thanks for your response.

3. annart profile image87
    annartposted 4 years ago

Every day when I'm at home.  Now that I've lost quite a bit of weight I want to make sure it's not creeping up again.  I still want to lose a few more pounds to be my ideal (sensible) weight.  Thanks to both daughters getting married I've made an effort to be able to look good enough in a pretty dress!  I'm more comfortable too.

It is good to have a motive when trying to lose weight. It sounds like your method is working for you. Thanks for the answer.

4. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

So infrequently that I can't be sure of the second last time.   I did put the body beautiful fully clad in my going out clothes on the scales a couple of days ago. But that was only because I was in a bathroom I don't generally use and there they were standing on the floor in the corner.

I know I now weight about five kilos less than I did when I was fifty, and forty, and thirty.  I was 'all muscle' in those days.    Now it's a simple matter of losing muscle mass in old age.  I'm now 77.   But, generally, my body weight has been such that I've been able to wear the same clothes for the past forty years.  Been fortunate that way.  Though I have worked on it by attending gym two or three times a week (with the occassional long break) since I was twenty.

Frankly, I think one could develop an unhealthy neurosis about body weight by weighing oneself too much.   And doing it every day is totally ridiculous.   But if you must weigh yourself because you're expecting to gain or lose weight because of some sort of regimen, I feel once every couple of months would be plenty.

I couldn't agree more. I have been in Brazil for nearly 5 years with no scale. Good food, physical work, and a full length mirror that tells me what I need to know.
      I think the more people worry about it, the more they gain and obsess about it.

5. Silverspeeder profile image59
    Silverspeederposted 4 years ago

As someone who has struggled with their weight for years I     have found that getting rid of the scales from my home has helped greatly.
    I tend to weigh myself on those scales situated in public places or at the gym.
    My advice would be to find a program that suits you and try and stick to it and don't weigh yourself to often as daily fluctuations indicate nothing and could have the opposite effect to which you require.

Hi Silverspeeder,
      I think if you focus too much on something, such as weight gain, it happens. You have, in my opinion a very balanced approach. Thanks for your input.

6. Life and Luxury profile image83
    Life and Luxuryposted 4 years ago

I weigh myself once a week in the morning, since we naturally weigh more at night.

Thank you for your answer. Is this to take corrective measures if it varies, or just a general level of reassurance?

7. Sue Bailey profile image82
    Sue Baileyposted 4 years ago

Only if I think I might have lost some weight. It's too depressing otherwise.

working