jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Can we be happy and sad at the same time?

1. jemuelO profile image92
    jemuelOposted 4 years ago

Can we be happy and sad at the same time?

2. Souther29 profile image80
    Souther29posted 4 years ago

I think it's possible to have happy and sad feelings very close to each other. You can have 'tears of joy' which can often happen at weddings when you are overcome with emotion and happiness but tears are normally associated with sadness or pain.

Perhaps it ties in with nostalgia too... looking back on something with fondness but also perhaps a little sad that this time has passed... an old relationship, a travel destination or a person may elicit both feelings.

jemuelOposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I do believe that 'tears of joy' exists. There are events in our life when we are overwhelmed by happiness, to the extent that we tend to cry, just to express how glad we are.

3. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I think so yes.  I work regularly with meditation and personal growth techniques that have helped me become a happy person in general - meaning I feel peace in my life and I wake up with a sense of optimism.  I love life, am blessed with an amazing family, animals that keep me laughing with their antics.  I work as a freelancer on my own terms.  I have an amazingly blessed life overall.  However, sometimes things happen that make us sad.  For example my son and his father had a fight recently and my son had his feelings hurt.  Because I empathize greatly with my son and because I love him so deeply - his pain is like a knife in my heart also.  I was hurting for him and feeling sadness,  but overall still happy and at peace with life.

I recognize that all emotions and feelings have a place.  It's what you do with them ultimately that matters.  We will all experience sorrow, anger, etc.  They are fleeting.  You can't escape it, but those emotions don't have to make you "unhappy".  However you feel at your core - at the heart of your being, will override any other temporary emotions due to circumstance.

Hopefully that makes sense smile.

Very well said Christin! Your answer really makes sense. We should not be overwhelmed by sadness, instead we should think of happy moments - that would be very helpful in facing problems and other unfavorable circumstances.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Yes. You can be happy about a decision but sad about the lost possibilities as well.

Every decision entails good or bad consequences. These include wasted opportunities and lost possibilities. Thank you for reminding me on this!

working