jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What do you use to stop itchy bug bites?

1. Efficient Admin profile image93
    Efficient Adminposted 4 years ago

What do you use to stop itchy bug bites?

I went hiking yesterday and rolled up my long pants because the humidity was high and it was real hot.  About an hour later I noticed at least 20 bug bites all over my legs.  Now today they are starting to itch!  What can I use to stop them from itching until they heal and go away?

2. Rosana Modugno profile image83
    Rosana Modugnoposted 4 years ago

Believe it or not;  tomatoes.  The acidity in the tomato seems to do the trick for me and I'm in Florida, so I know mosquitoes all too well and they just LOVE me.  Also cool it down by putting cold presses on it, like frozen peas in bags or make your own baggies.  Heat = itch.  Next time you go hiking, don't wear dark colored clothes.  Darker clothes attract mosquitoes.  I'm assuming you wore dark hiking.  smile

Efficient Adminposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes I had on dark yoga pants and the mistake I made was rolling up my pants to just above the knees because it was so humid. I never do this and also never get bit.  But this time I was a buffet. I have about 50 bites on both legs!

3. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Apple cider vinegar and the inside of banana peels would be my starting point. A bath in vinegar or just rubbing it on my legs. Same with the peels, just rub on. If neither of those are available you could try pressed garlic on them. If you have none of that and don't mind medication a benedryl or benedryl spray will ease your itch.

I will try the apple cider vinegar and the regular vinegar since I have both on hand in the pantry. The pharmacist did recommend some benedryl as well. Thanks!

4. renegadetory profile image98
    renegadetoryposted 4 years ago

White vinegar works really well and so does Calamine lotion :-)

I just got back from the store with some Calamine lotion and trying it now. I will also try the vinegar. Thanks!

5. SuperiorInteriors profile image81
    SuperiorInteriorsposted 4 years ago

Efficient Admin,  Try this!

http://pinterest.com/pin/497225615080281529/

You can freeze aloe vera in an ice cube tray to provide INSTANT soothing relief!  The link is a picture for you to see!  Hope this helps!  I know that that can be an agonizing feeling.  Best of luck!

I have an aloe plant that I cut today and rubbed the clear juice on some of the bites. It felt cool and it did relieve the itching for about 1 hour.

2. SuperiorInteriors profile image81
      SuperiorInteriorsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Efficient Admin,  Try freezing it to give it that extra numbing sensation!

working