jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

How do you cope with watching someone you love slowly die?

1. Claudia Marie profile image72
    Claudia Marieposted 4 years ago

How do you cope with watching someone you love slowly die?

Faith in the promise stated in the Bible at John 5: 28, 29 and Daniel 12:2 has been a comfort to me, as well as the help from a Hospice organization.

2. CraftytotheCore profile image82
    CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years ago

It's very difficult watching the ones we love perish by the hand of disease, old age, or any other grip of death.

My cousin died of a brain tumor and I sat by his bed side reading to him and laughing at his favorite cartoon with him.  It was horrific watching his endless suffering.  I was so thankful when he was called home.  Spending each moment with the person that you possibly can until their last breath flies away like a butterfly takes flight.  It's the most hardest thing to watch, and yet the most grateful thing to let go of.  Suffering.

Claudia Marieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You can not stop the dieing process  but you can be by they side ever step oh the way.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

This is a truly sad and agonizing thing to have to behold. The greatest comfort one can have is knowing that they are a child of God and will be going home soon.

Agonizing indeed!

4. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Hospice care is definitely invaluable. Hospice was amazing when my grandfather went through the last couple of months of cancer. They are there to talk to you and to help you with the little things.  I would also consider a support group for grief - you can find them online for free, or often through churches or community mental health services.  Terminal illnesses give you some time to prepare, but unfortunately, they also involve a great deal of stress for those left behind.  Having other people who know and understand can also be a great comfort, because you can help them too in coping with their losses.  Best wishes to you.

Thank for your comment. I have a wonderful support group.

working