jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Treadmill personal goals - how do you set them?

1. Easy Exercise profile image86
    Easy Exerciseposted 4 years ago

Treadmill personal goals - how do you set them?

As a personal trainer, I find it much easier to set goals for others rather than myself. What personal goals work best for you for the treadmill?

2. GiblinGirl profile image83
    GiblinGirlposted 4 years ago

I'm not a personal trainer, but I definitely agree.  It's easier to make suggestions for someone else than it is to make a plan for yourself.  I pretty much motivate myself by not giving myself a choice about the treadmill.  I get on it every day and do about 4.5 miles (either walking or running).  I guess the only goal I really have is to see the treadmill tell me I've burned at least 400 calories.

3. kasiapl profile image63
    kasiaplposted 4 years ago

I think if you do at least 3 days a week for a half hour at least then that is pretty good. Also add in  free weights as well after your treadmill sessions and ab exercises too. I would switch it up and do different activities  like running outside, or tennis as well to make it more fun. Oh and make some fun CDs , that always motivates me like dance or latin.

4. Dr. Haddox profile image80
    Dr. Haddoxposted 4 years ago

If you can set goals for others you are in a good position to set goals for yourself because you understand the basic principles of exercise physiology. My walking program does not involve the use of a treadmill. I am a Nature scientist, therefore, everything that I do is done out in Nature. The walking trail that I walk is a very hostile one, that taxes one's endurance, sometimes to "the critical point." The critical point is, where I consider there is a risk of injury to one's body, physically, mentally, or spiritually. We want to stop before we reach this point that I consider critical. That point is, of course, different for different people. As a personal trainer, I know that you are following me in my thinking about this.
    Therefore, ask yourself, "Where is my critical point?" I cannot answer this question for you because I do not know you well enough. I am assuming that you are in excellent condition, physically, and maybe, also, mentally, however, I have not even the slightest idea where you are spiritually.
    I wish you the best.
    Dr. Haddox