jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What natural remedy can I use to reduce a fever?

1. dappledesigns profile image90
    dappledesignsposted 4 years ago

What natural remedy can I use to reduce a fever?

Herbs and natural medicine - no pharmaceuticals please.

2. artist101 profile image69
    artist101posted 4 years ago

Willowbark, which aspirin was derived from. (do not give to children under 18, as Reyes syndrome is a possibility).  Lobelia, taken either in a tea, or supplement, ginger,catnip, as well as elderberry can help to bring a fever down. My thoughts are Ibuprofen, cheap and effective. I believe in "complimentary" medicine. Use the best of all forms of healing, including conventional. Lobelia, and licorice are two effective remedies, but should not be taken longer than seven days. Licorice should not be taken by anyone with high blood pressure, as it does raise blood pressure. DO NOT combine these, or other natural supplements with over the counter pain, and fever reducers, as an interaction, or overdose is very possible. Please use common sense. When in doubt ask a pharmacist. Or go to DRUGS.com and check for interactions BEFORE you combine ANY remedy, pharmaceutical, or over the counter medication. If fever persists for more than a week please seek the advice of a qualified medical professional. Just because it's "over the counter" doesnt mean its for everyone, or for every situation.

3. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 4 years ago

My advice is to actually talk with an herbalist to find out. Reasons being: not all fevers are the same, not all human bodies are the same, and there may be other conditions going on in your body at the moment that would contra-indicate an otherwise perfectly appropriate herb. I believe it is a real shame that some herbal books follow the western medical model of just labeling  a condition and then providing you with the "remedy."  Herbs often do not work that way and you can save a lot of time and money speaking with a knowledgeable herbalist.   
    Wish you all the best.

4. loveofnight profile image81
    loveofnightposted 4 years ago

livestrong.com has an array of fever reducers that range from wet,dry sock therapy to fever baths.  http://www.livestrong.com/article/15685 … -remedies/