jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

At the gym we can read a book, watch the TV above, or listen to music to keep ou

1. amandajoyshapiro profile image59
    amandajoyshapiroposted 3 years ago

At the gym we can read a book, watch the TV above, or listen to music to keep ourselves focused.

How do you distract yourself from paying attention to the clock, and just let time pass while on the machine? Do you read, watch the TV, listen to music, a combination of these, or do something else?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

If you're able to read - you're not likely working out hard enough to make it worth your time.  I listen to mp3's with inspiring music or even an audiobook could work.  I go into a trance like almost meditative state when running the treadmill.  That helps with stamina and it makes the time seem to just fly by.  Watching TV is hard for me because the noise of the machines, but with headphones or something I suppose it could work.  I like to concentrate on shows when I watch them though.

3. vily_far profile image76
    vily_farposted 3 years ago

I agree with ChristinS - my cardio routine is so intense that I find it impossible to read a book. I love to listen to music because it helps me maintain the rhythm and keep my heart rate up. You simply need a mix of dynamic songs to have a great time while working out.

4. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 3 years ago

i personally feel like if I can do any of that stuff (other than listening to music), then my workout isnt very useful. i dont like to focus too much on time. i set a goal to do a certain amount of sets of something or a certain distance. push hard on each one and just focus on the workout. the time will fall in to place one you have a set routine.

5. mikejhca profile image91
    mikejhcaposted 3 years ago

I don't workout at the gym. At home while using my elliptical trainer I usually watch TV. I can great workout and watch a TV show or movie at the same time. Watching TV does make it a little harder to keep the pace up but frequently checking my speed and distance helps. So does limiting what I watch. Usually I workout while watching action TV shows or movies.

If I am not using an exercise machine I leave the TV off and just focus on the workout. I can't get myself to keep the intensity up while watching TV unless I have a lot of feedback, like a display telling me the speed, distance and calories burned.

working