jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What makes it difficult for some people to accept a compliment?

1. janshares profile image99
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

What makes it difficult for some people to accept a compliment?

Saying "thank you" after a compliment doesn't come easy for some of us. Explain why.

2. Snøwman profile image60
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

Some people have a low self esteem and don't believe a compliment, but will easily accept an insult.

The best thing to say if you get a compliment is "thank you".

There was a study on this where someone would give honest compliments to someone they love, who frequently denies compliments. The person receiving the compliments was only allowed to say thank you. The person receiving compliments said they felt better saying thank you, than denying the compliment like they had previously done.

If anyone frequently denies compliments, remember this study.

jansharesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting results of that study, Snowman. Good info to pass on. Thank you very much for answering.

3. HoneyBB profile image97
    HoneyBBposted 3 years ago

Boy, am I guilty of this one!  It's like in "Pretty Woman" when Julia Roberts (Vivian) tells Richard Gere (Edward) ... "The bad stuff is easier to believe; did you ever notice that?"  However, I'm usually gracious and say "Thank You," and I really appreciate the kindness of somebody giving their attention and time to whatever it is that they compliment me on and most times I already know what's good and deserving and what's not really so good and needs "tweaking" to be deserving..lol.  Anyhow, great question, Janshares!  Hopefully, it will help people learn how to appreciate themselves more and when appreciating someone else letting them know it!

Hey HoneyBB! So good to see you, it's been a while. Yes, I hope the question resonates with others as well and helps them get comfy with just how good they really are when acknowledged by others. Thanks so much for your candid answer.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image73
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

I could go into a very long explanation about why it is for this reason instead of this, etc., but it really only takes two words - guilt , innocence.

Hmm, nicely put, Kevin. I'd love to hear the in-depth but I get it. Thank you for answering.

working