jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Do you consider disorder and disease synonymous? Or do you think there are appa

1. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 2 years ago

Do you consider disorder and disease synonymous?  Or do you think there are apparent differences?

Please explain your answer and why....

2. Nicole Grizzle profile image90
    Nicole Grizzleposted 2 years ago

Disease and disorder aren't synonymous, in my opinion.

Disease means that there is some sort of bacteria or virus affecting the body. Something is wrong OUTSIDE the body.

Disorder is an abnormality in the psychological/mental state of the mind. Something is wrong INSIDE the body.

Either way, doctors and nurses alike try to treat and prevent damage caused by both diseases and disorders, so in that sense they are related.

kj forceposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Disease is due to extrinsic factors (e.g., virus, bacteria)  Disorder is due to intrinsic abnormalities (e.g., birth defects, genetic malfunction). Either can destroy and affect long term function...Do you agree?
      Thanks for your comment....

2. Nicole Grizzle profile image90
      Nicole Grizzleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yes I do agree. Thank you for your reply!

3. tirelesstraveler profile image81
    tirelesstravelerposted 2 years ago

Like many other words when you think about them closely you discover the meanings in common language have been jumbled.      Disorder is a malfunction of a system.  Autoimmune deficiency is a disorder. When you think of it cancer is really more of a disorder than a disease since it is over stimulation of cell growth. Though some think it is caused by a virus in that case it would be a disease. 
    A disease on the other had is caused by virus' or bacteria.
    I have been thinking about the meaning of words all day.  This just added to the intrigue.

kj forceposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Trust me I am a retired Physician...and am still doing Medical Research/writing /pub. Many in the industry that still scratch there heads on these issues
      Guess that is just one more " quirk "  in LIFE.. difference between existing and living..thanx

working